In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(plant/animal) macho(hormone/sex) masculinomale bee — zángano masculine
- male member — miembro viril
- Havana produced Carlos Acosta, now a member of the Royal Ballet, the world's number one male dancer.
- Inflorescences with male flowers only were found in various sequential inflorescences in the six populations.
- An emphasis on male offspring and the male line is found throughout the country.
- The biological consequences concern both male and female reproductive systems.
- The subscription lists, particularly those before 1860, suggest that the audience was predominantly male.
- While students are predominantly male, any driver with a valid license can sign up.
- The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.
- But then from memory mass murderers or serial killers were pretty much exclusively male.
- The mostly male executives running corporations across America would do well to take note.
- Live oaks produce male flowers called catkins that bloom in hanging clusters.
- Reef fishes are egg-layers, and the eggs are externally fertilized by the male parent.
- Today, there are few, if any, maritime roles that remain exclusively male.
- Male fish with both male and female reproductive systems have been found in the River Ouse in the county.
- The path of pollen tubes has not been investigated, as male flowers were not available.
- Some females even adjust the ratio of male to female offspring depending on the circumstances.
- In this case it appears that male sterility caused self-fertilization to fail but some days later cross-fertilization took place.
- The chromosome from the father determines whether the offspring becomes male or female.
- Other males and male offspring have no recourse but either to accept celibacy, look elsewhere, or kill the father.
- Thus, the benefits to offspring of male incubation may be reduced in various species.
- So there is some evidence that male sterility can negatively affect female fitness.
- It is now clear that mutation rates are greater in male than in female germ lines.
- Petronio was the first male dancer of the Trisha Brown Company, for which he danced from 1979 to 1986.
- Female students, on average, take more valuable equipment than their male counterparts.
- The 65 987 participants were predominantly male and middle aged.
- Biological differentiation into male and female makes sexual reproduction possible.
- Thus, the perianth of male flowers is often larger than that of female flowers.
1.2(chorus/line/attitude/character) masculino(workforce) de hombresmale doctor — médico masculine
- male chauvinism — machismo
- male nurse — enfermero
- male pill — píldora anticonceptiva masculina
- male prostitute — chapero
- there were several male applicants — se presentaron varios candidatos varones
- Firstly, to get the male point of view, they interview one man.
- Founded in 1944, the Orpheus Choir may have to fold due to a lack of male voices.
- We were unable to identify any male characteristics that were associated with EPF.
- Imagine those choruses of lusty male voices singing The Internationale on the soundtrack.
- Both times Darren said he heard a gruff male voice in the background speaking angrily in rapid fire French.
- A male voice said the chairman would return the call, but there was no response from Rao up to press time.
- Also, how many males will want their offspring to suffer male pattern baldness?
- We women in business are measured by how many male characteristics we have.
- Thus, it seems logical for a correlation to exist between male and female fertility traits.
- However, in some species, females use male traits to predict spermatophore quality.
- He will go down in history as the most popular male voice of all time.
- Over the speakers, the male voice reading was full of love but full of loss.
- The slow release of testosterone ensures that sex drive and male characteristics, such as body hair, are maintained.
- The Talking Messenger has 15 readers, but is always looking for more, especially male voices.
- Many footballers in England earned a wage that was not much greater than average adult male earnings in manufacturing.
- The elephants are also slow to respond to a woman's voice as their hearing is tuned to following a male voice.
- Their intense dialogue was somehow interrupted by the deep male voices approaching.
- The four male voices of the Hilliard earned thunderous foot-stamping applause from a capacity audience at Canongate Kirk.
- He sat in on his wife's women's group, with their permission, as they talked about menopause and male menopause.
- Younger women use the monophthongs characteristic of male speech.
- We know also that in animals the male hormone, testosterone, is related to dominance and aggression.
- You live in a place where male bonding takes on a whole new life!
- This audio cable with male connectors on each end is used with ISDN primary rate interfaces.
- Cut another small piece of pipe and attach male adapters on both ends.
- The fitting also includes a male end portion configured to engage female threads on the hub of the receptacle.
- Then the connector was flanged onto the newly installed flexible pipe end termination which will mate with the male hub connection structure.
1masculine machomasculine varónI need a strong male to help me move this table — necesito un hombre fuerte que me ayude a mover esta mesa
- And so often what is radical is defined by white heterosexual males and females.
- There was no predation and there were no unmated males in our population.
- The idea was that every adult white male would have his own gun.
- There is a palpably macho tone to all of this, as of alpha males competing for dominance and display.
- For black males aged 15-19, the rate increased 105 percent.
- Sometimes, though, the ratio of males to females lurches out of balance.
- Interactions among newborns, mothers, and adult males are rarely observed but are needed to distinguish between these hypotheses.
- Neither of the two unmated males sired extra-pair young.
- Participants in this study included 105 adolescent males between the ages of 12 and 18 in outpatient and residential programs.
- Common chimpanzees are very social animals, with males forming the closest bonds.
- Mate guarding is the primary mating tactic used by dominant males of many species of ungulates.
- Smaller groups usually consist of an unmated female courted by unmated males.
- The researcher worldview is that of a middle-class, white, heterosexual male.
- But costs rise to four times the European average for young males aged between 17 and 24.
- Adult natal males were never observed to achieve intromission, so all complete copulations involved immigrants.
- The purpose of the program is to develop responsible sexual behavior among young adolescent males.
- An adolescent heterosexual male, for example, is certainly driven to distraction by his hormonal urge to reproduce.
- Territorial males sired, on average, significantly more offspring per reproductive season than peripherals.
- Plot shows percentage of females produced by hybrid males of various genotypes.
- Even Frodo, the longtime dominant alpha male, is feeling poorly and lying low.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.