In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(plant/animal) macho(hormone/sex) masculinomale bee — zángano masculine
- male member — miembro viril
- While students are predominantly male, any driver with a valid license can sign up.
- It is now clear that mutation rates are greater in male than in female germ lines.
- Other males and male offspring have no recourse but either to accept celibacy, look elsewhere, or kill the father.
- Reef fishes are egg-layers, and the eggs are externally fertilized by the male parent.
- The path of pollen tubes has not been investigated, as male flowers were not available.
- Havana produced Carlos Acosta, now a member of the Royal Ballet, the world's number one male dancer.
- But then from memory mass murderers or serial killers were pretty much exclusively male.
- The subscription lists, particularly those before 1860, suggest that the audience was predominantly male.
- Biological differentiation into male and female makes sexual reproduction possible.
- The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.
- The 65 987 participants were predominantly male and middle aged.
- Some females even adjust the ratio of male to female offspring depending on the circumstances.
- Petronio was the first male dancer of the Trisha Brown Company, for which he danced from 1979 to 1986.
- The biological consequences concern both male and female reproductive systems.
- Male fish with both male and female reproductive systems have been found in the River Ouse in the county.
- An emphasis on male offspring and the male line is found throughout the country.
- Female students, on average, take more valuable equipment than their male counterparts.
- In this case it appears that male sterility caused self-fertilization to fail but some days later cross-fertilization took place.
- So there is some evidence that male sterility can negatively affect female fitness.
- Inflorescences with male flowers only were found in various sequential inflorescences in the six populations.
- The mostly male executives running corporations across America would do well to take note.
- Live oaks produce male flowers called catkins that bloom in hanging clusters.
- The chromosome from the father determines whether the offspring becomes male or female.
- Today, there are few, if any, maritime roles that remain exclusively male.
- Thus, the benefits to offspring of male incubation may be reduced in various species.
- Thus, the perianth of male flowers is often larger than that of female flowers.
1.2(attitude/character/line/chorus) masculino(workforce) de hombresmale doctor — médico masculine
- male chauvinism — machismo
- male nurse — enfermero
- male pill — píldora anticonceptiva masculina
- male prostitute — prostituto
- there were several male applicants — se presentaron varios candidatos varones
- The slow release of testosterone ensures that sex drive and male characteristics, such as body hair, are maintained.
- Also, how many males will want their offspring to suffer male pattern baldness?
- We were unable to identify any male characteristics that were associated with EPF.
- Firstly, to get the male point of view, they interview one man.
- Over the speakers, the male voice reading was full of love but full of loss.
- Their intense dialogue was somehow interrupted by the deep male voices approaching.
- The elephants are also slow to respond to a woman's voice as their hearing is tuned to following a male voice.
- Younger women use the monophthongs characteristic of male speech.
- He sat in on his wife's women's group, with their permission, as they talked about menopause and male menopause.
- The Talking Messenger has 15 readers, but is always looking for more, especially male voices.
- Founded in 1944, the Orpheus Choir may have to fold due to a lack of male voices.
- Both times Darren said he heard a gruff male voice in the background speaking angrily in rapid fire French.
- The four male voices of the Hilliard earned thunderous foot-stamping applause from a capacity audience at Canongate Kirk.
- However, in some species, females use male traits to predict spermatophore quality.
- We women in business are measured by how many male characteristics we have.
- He will go down in history as the most popular male voice of all time.
- Many footballers in England earned a wage that was not much greater than average adult male earnings in manufacturing.
- Imagine those choruses of lusty male voices singing The Internationale on the soundtrack.
- You live in a place where male bonding takes on a whole new life!
- We know also that in animals the male hormone, testosterone, is related to dominance and aggression.
- Thus, it seems logical for a correlation to exist between male and female fertility traits.
- A male voice said the chairman would return the call, but there was no response from Rao up to press time.
- The fitting also includes a male end portion configured to engage female threads on the hub of the receptacle.
- Cut another small piece of pipe and attach male adapters on both ends.
- Then the connector was flanged onto the newly installed flexible pipe end termination which will mate with the male hub connection structure.
- This audio cable with male connectors on each end is used with ISDN primary rate interfaces.
1masculine machomasculine varónI need a strong male to help me move this table — necesito un hombre fuerte que me ayude a mover esta mesa
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.