In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On small farms this was done with a flail or wooden mallet and block.
- If bricks run slightly ahead of the pattern, use a rubber mallet to nudge them into place.
- Start your screw hole with an awl by tapping gently with a hammer or a soft-face mallet.
- Into this hole, tap in the spile with a wooden mallet.
- The axe can then be hammered in further with a wooden mallet.
- A smooth hide or even hard rubber/plastic mallet will mar it the least.
- It finally gave up it's resistance with the help of a few smacks with a mallet and chisel…
- The judge beat his wooden mallet on the podium, demanding order.
- Cut off the wings, breast and legs and break up the carcass with a meat mallet.
- For the finest of detail, he applies the trusty mallet and chisel.
- Children were invited to have a go at making shapes using the tools of the wood carving trade - a mallet and chisel.
- Flatten a chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness with a meat mallet.
- A rubber mallet is used to drive the blade halves into the green.
- A wooden mallet was used to drive in the scallops without damaging the points.
- Carpenters had mallets, hammers, drills, chisels, scrapers, planes, and copper saws at their disposal.
- Most of the temporary equipment fits together easily with just a rubber mallet, screwdriver, pocketknife and a pair of pliers.
- Use a mallet or hammer to tap knife gently through flesh.
- The sentries banged the door five times with a giant mallet.
- This handy wooden mallet was made from some left-over scraps of oak that I had salvaged from a pallet.
- At the end of the ride, you will be hit on the head with a giant mallet.
2Sportfeminine mazamasculine mazo
- For the piece titled Passageways, Toivanen set a croquet ball and mallet against the gallery wall, ready for play.
- I date men who knock me off my bike in bike polo by throwing a mallet at my spokes and watching me fall just like the boys.
- But one day we had to go up to the attic for something and we found these hoops, mallets, timber balls and a peg.
- The twelve-year-old called after them, as Craig waved at them with the croquet mallet.
- We have lengths from 31-36 ’, and can order longer or shorter mallets as needed.
- Players wear jerseys - actually, colored T-shirts - and use mallets to knock a ball into a goal.
- The back of the bat should never be touched with the mallet.
- A polo mallet that is too heavy can eventually lead to muscle fatigue, wrist strain or even an injury.
- Do they beat it with a large polo mallet?
- There is no evidence of this being true at all - the only things that the games have in common are mallets and balls.
- Alfred picks up the discarded croquet mallets and follows them.
- Some spectators wear Harris tweed and others carry polo mallets as accessories.
- He does like a polo mallet, he hits it and it goes flying over the table, and I'm saying, ‘Good shot.’
- He's one of the greatest sportsmen that ever picked up a mallet or a cricket bat.
- Lightweight recreational mallets are not up to the task of this gruelling version of the game.
- My brother and I took a radio out onto the lawn and there smashed it into a thousand pieces with croquet mallets.
- One of the first lessons anyone gets is how to take hold of and swing a mallet.
- Sorry to disappoint you, but I never got to see Fergie's polo mallets.
- If you can pedal and swing a mallet, you can play bike polo.
- All mallets shown below have similar options for the head styles, the differences are in the shaft types.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.