In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2mamá feminine British dated(as form of address) mamá(as form of address) madre dated
- I fought back the tears to be strong for my mama, but could barely hold it in.
- I'm sure both Mama and Papa will be very proud of you, Fenius.
- My mama died when I was born and my papa died a few years ago.
- I thought it would make their mama happy, laying there beside of them, to watch us play.
- I took no time to open it and when I did I looked to my mamma, then papa, then Johnnie, Cody and Angel.
- He does seem to be very, very attracted to tall, long-stemmed blondes, not unlike his pretty mama.
- My papa was walking to the midwife to get my mama's painkillers, because she was pregnant and was very sore.
- I couldn't believe that my mama and papa, so brave, were scared of a man I didn't know anything about.
- Papa and Mama were running around doing and getting things for Lise, and Lise was bandaging Lars' arms.
- And he meets some other kids, and those kids have two mamas or two papas.
- The mamas and papas did not have to just watch their children have all the fun.
- She's not, you know, weaned from her mama yet, and she's not even eating food yet.
- James Gandolfini plays Tom, the father of the household, and Catherine O'Hara is Christine, the mama to Tom's papa.
- Ever homebound I dashed; I only wanted to hear the praise of my mama and papa.
- I live in Chile, South America, with my mama, papa.
- I decided to fix a big pot of my mama's homemade kitchen sink soup.
- I found Mama sitting next to Papa's bed and Jeanette listening to the radio.
- When we reached our cart, Papa and Mama were saying goodbye and trying to get everything loaded in.
- When my mom died, I got my mama's glasses, and they're very, very precious to me.
- She would be strong for her mama, and her papa, who stood unmoving now.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.