In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The industry has been making manful efforts to curtail production so that prices will not go through the floor every time that there is a pick-up in demand.
- This second time, Selby made a manful attempt with both hands to make the catch.
- Frazer has done a manful job in that position but I know he is ready for a rest and his strength is in a defensive role.
- He himself seems to feel he has to make manful, self-deprecating jokes about having his election stolen.
- There are a number of places where, naturally, I would not have worded that defense as Joe has, but on the whole I am grateful for his manful attempt to read what I said charitably.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.