- You cannot win without scoring, and aside from Rooney, who was trying so manfully to be all things to England's attack, nobody but Owen was going to finish the job.
- He toiled manfully with the task, bravely maintaining that the national picture was not as grim as the newspapers would have us believe.
- England coped manfully without him, but they will rue his absence if Australia continue to fight hard today and finally top 400 for the first time in the series.
- He manfully fielded tough questions about precisely how brilliant his leadership was and the personal toll of improving the lives of every living creature in his kingdom.
- Dawkins writes of how he manfully and loudly sings it the ‘correct’ way when he's at one of these gatherings, but to no avail.