In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tirabeque masculinearveja mollar feminineguisante mollar masculine Spainchícharo mollar masculine Mexico
- Throw in a couple of snap peas and mangetouts so that the children discover they can eat the pod as well.
- Steam the shredded cabbage and mangetout for only one minute.
- I also had a side of mangetout and fresh peas, served with butter and salt and pepper.
- To turn them into a meal, serve with rice and steamed mangetout or broccoli.
- The next day, the remaining beef was sliced and marinated in soy, rice wine, garlic, sesame oil and cornflour, then tossed in a hot wok with soaked Chinese mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts and mangetout, as in today's recipe.
- Reduce the heat and add curry paste, beans and mangetouts, mushrooms, sprouts, stock, sugar and basil.
- The dishes came with nicely cooked baby potatoes, carrots and mangetout.
- The mangetout are also cropping faster than we can pick them.
- Mix the sugar, soy, rice wine, vinegar and sesame oil, and lightly toss the mangetout in the dressing.
- Add the garlic and mangetout, and toss over high heat for a minute.
- ‘Absolutely delicious’ was the verdict as she worked through bean shoots, mushrooms, carrots, mangetout, broccoli, choi and fennel.
- Try sliced shitake mushrooms, a handful of beansprouts, sliced mangetouts, cooked egg noodles and fresh crab meat.
- Then throw in the mangetout and red pepper and stir-fry for one minute.
- Immediately stir in the rice, followed by the onion, spring greens, broccoli and mangetouts.
- Place the wok over a high heat and add the carrots, mangetout, red pepper and the noodle cooking liquid.
- Side orders included mangetout and asparagus, which was a very welcome change from the norm.
- A petit flan of onion formed an island in a lake of light, frothy green-pea potage, topped with fresh broad beans, mangetouts and more peas.
- Along with our meals came a dish of vegetables offering small tastings of cauliflower, broccoli, mangetouts, carrots and a larger helping of new potatoes.
- Small pods mean they are very young, still crisp and fresh - immature mangetout wilt easily.
- She was trying not to listen as Mrs Mitchels started on some anecdote - one she told every time - about eating mangetout in November.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.