In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(adulthood)madurez femininefeminine edad adultato reach manhood — llegar a la edad adulta
- In the 1380s, as he grew to manhood, his influence on affairs gradually increased.
- His continued success has allowed him to grow into manhood with a healthy sense of self, and a record label called Audio Research.
- It's a coming of age story where we see the different stages of manhood.
- His childhood was lost, at the age of ten, and on that creaky floor his manhood began.
- To the same degree that Hughes defines manhood through compassion, Du Bois defines manhood through intellectual curiosity.
- Danger, thrills, spills, and rebellion are all part of being a boy growing into manhood.
- The son of an English tenant farmer, he received a good education and little else in the Lincolnshire community where he grew to manhood.
- Two men - a boy who grows into early manhood and an old ascetic priest, the lama - are at the centre of the novel.
- In his early days Paddy was a kind and quiet boy and as he grew into manhood he didn't change.
- The thing that made him stand out to her was how he changed in each of her dreams, growing and maturing from adolescence to manhood.
- His voice was just changing from its higher tones of youth to the deeper ones of his manhood.
- Hymer is a young Swedish Viking in his early manhood and the heir to a village chief.
- For here is the real conflict by which we move into manhood and maturity.
- His early manhood was partly devoted to using the second to overcome the first.
- All Laotian men are expected to become monks, usually in early manhood, before marriage.
- So he both keeps his one love and loses those he has grown to manhood among, or he loses the one good thing in his life to keep all the things that he has always known.
- This begins what becomes an obsessive quest, as Ronan - from adolescence to manhood - tracks the storyteller's whereabouts across the lanes of Ireland.
- Their eldest son is reaching manhood, and must be about my age.
- William had no siblings or friends to comfort him as he grew to manhood.
- This was the passage to the second cycle of life, manhood.
2(adult males)hombres masculine
- The names of the fallen - sometimes a family's entire fine crop of young manhood - feature on those war memorials and on the roll of honour in memorial halls.
3(virility)hombría femininevirilidad feminine
- Masculinity and manhood have nothing to do with whom you sleep with or whom you love.
- We're living in an era of greatly diminished expectations for heroes and further diminished standards for manhood among mere mortals.
- Their coach questions everything from their heart to their courage to their brains to their manhood to their commitment.
- These sports serve to define dominant masculinity, connecting manhood with violence and competitiveness and often marginalising girls and women.
- Confronting ghostly apparitions of Annabel, he is overwhelmed by guilt for forcing her to have children to prove his manhood.
- The cops were itching for a fight, and to prove their manhood.
- In certain African tribes, one had to slay a lion to prove one's manhood.
- For a man like him, a daredevil skier and helicopter pilot, being mayor would also be a supreme test of manhood.
- No critique of American culture and manhood is complete without a discussion of athletics and the color line that long pervaded American sports.
- His is an elusive quest for self despite prescriptive notions of manhood and sexual identity.
- Given the fact that manhood is associated with power, and being powerless is seen as unmanly, violence becomes a means to prove otherwise to others and oneself.
- None of the video's characters embodies active manhood.
- Literature refutes both people who think gender should be abolished and people who have overly-narrow views of womanhood or manhood.
- The negative images against which manhood has been constructed, such as womanhood, boyhood, dependency, slavery, and racial and class difference, will be examined.
- The court made every effort to actively link men to their sexual abilities by publicizing these proofs of manhood.
- Entering Nunnington Hall is like stepping back to the heyday of the British Empire when English gentlemen proved their manhood by shooting game and fighting in wars.
- This scene is particularly important since in the very act of proving his manhood, the hero loses it completely.
- Henry has to prove his manhood by juggling a wife and a full-time mistress.
- She says that she has truly found a partner in life with Glenn, who is secure in his manhood, even when people make the mistake of calling him Mr. Greenwood.
- Did they think they were proving their manhood by doing this?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.