In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The mania gave me energy and ideas, some of which were good and some of which were off the wall.
- Lithium carbonate is the primary treatment for bipolar disease, especially mania.
- Chang said this indicates that mania is not what is fueling the creativity.
- Valproic acid is a second line treatment for mania.
- The result is extreme mood fluctuations that cycle between mania and depression.
- In two striking chapters he describes an episode of acute mania and how his manic depression affects his life.
- The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.
- The story also illustrates the most radical difference between mania and hypomania.
- Since then, he has been a virtual recluse, dogged by rumours of mania and madness.
- At that time there was no effective treatment for mania and she gradually recovered over a lengthy period.
- When these types break down they tend to develop either hysteria or mania.
- And so what you're indicating there is that there are degrees of mania when it comes to manic depression.
- She just was having so many prolonged periods of depression, and mania, she wasn't producing.
- And there is some dispute about whether events like the Asian crisis really constitute market manias and panics.
- The histories of market manias and their ensuing panics all tell a similar story: manias give rise to frauds, manipulations and swindles and their unwinding contributes to the bursting of the bubble.
- Almost all manias, be they tulips, railways, Japanese real estate, have ended in busts.
- Close friends always thought that his mania for publicity was connected with his illness.
- In truth, the thugs merely use football as their excuse to indulge their mania for mindless violence.
- These are technology-driven bubbles, not fad-fueled manias like tulips, or fraud like the South Sea scam.
- Those with a mania for tulips never let empty pockets sour a sale.
- The significance of speculative manias is that they cause the buildup of debt and bad investments which creates slow growth.
- Stories abound of the insanity that we remember as the 1990s stock mania.
- America's mania for expensive bottled waters may be protecting hearts as it empties wallets.
- For some reason the urge for plastic surgery is becoming a mania world wide in both males and females.
- But when you look at the window display in any bookshop, do you sense a passion for literature, or a mania for marketing?
- Some teachers suggest the problem is linked to a mania for safety outdoors which conditions people to avoid risks.
- Financial manias and panics have attracted economists concerned with the efficiency of asset markets.
- There will be gold rushes, booms, and manias aplenty in our future.
- Ofili has a mania for red, green and black, the colours of African unity, and by applying the oils and acrylics in dots he creates a beaded feel.
- If the current mania surrounding the technology is anything to go by, they'll be everywhere.
- Like fashion and distinct from both fads and crazes, manias tend to develop by spreading downward through the social strata.
- Whether it is a mania for the latest hot rock star singer, or a mania to buy a financial asset, manias have truly exerted their influence for centuries.
- When I moved into my retirement residence in 1997, I gave an illustrated talk on previous stock manias but was unable to convince anyone that another big boom and bust cycle was coming in our future.
2(obsession)manía feminineobsesión femininethey have a mania for secrecy — tienen la manía / obsesión de querer mantener todo en secreto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.