In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As competition for the most impressive summer house flourished, huge mansions took shape among the hills.
- Building size varied from one-floor shack houses, two-story mansions, and multilevel apartment and office buildings.
- By now, Michelle had miraculously gained entry and was driven to the front porch of the mansion.
- Garezarde is the name of the palace and our few mansions and servant houses that surround it.
- The front door of the mansion slammed hard, hard enough to be heard through the entire building.
- Looking around me, the houses are massive mansions, some the size of boarding school.
- She happily green-lighted zoning changes to allow a few small cottages to be demolished and replaced by impressive mansions.
- Picture their multi-multimillion-dollar mansions and chateaus.
- It wasn't a mansion just a small house, Granny even said something about a pool.
- I mean, sure the houses are practically mansions and most if not all have ocean views, my dad even owns a part of the beach.
- Old maps show that there were once some impressive 17th century mansions, particularly on the north side near the top of Dawson Street.
- He lived up in the hills where the houses turned into mansions.
- Simple shotgun houses to magnificent mansions will be showcased in this exhibition detailing New Orlean's vivid architectural past.
- Spanish colonial mansions, cathedrals, churches, and houses adorn the streets of both cities.
- She had never seen such beautiful homes that were rather mansions than mere houses.
- Maya's house was a mansion of sorts with a large garden sandwiched between the main iron gate and a porch that led to the door.
- The houses weren't mansions, but they were nice enough.
- I remember passing by houses, and semi mansions with their own botanical gardens and Olympic coliseums.
- The houses all looked like mansions in my opinion.
- There are two evocative groups of surviving mansions and period houses on Fifth Avenue, each worth a fresh look on summer stroll.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.