In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1muchosmuchashe doesn't have many books — no tiene muchos libros
- did they ask you many difficult questions? — ¿te hicieron muchas preguntas difíciles?
- we got there without too many problems — llegamos sin demasiados problemas
- how many plates/cups do you need? — ¿cuántos platos/cuántas tazas necesitas?
1.2muchosmuchasmany problems still remain unsolved — falta aún solucionar muchos problemas
- many years ago — hace muchos años
- I've had as many jobs as you — he tenido tantos trabajos como tú
- she read 15 books in as many days — se leyó 15 libros en el mismo número de días
- I have too many books — tengo demasiados libros
- one chair too many, one too many chairs — una silla de más
2many a — muchas
- in many an English town — en muchas ciudades inglesas
1muchosmuchasshe has some friends, but not many — tiene amigos, pero no muchos
- how many of your colleagues smoke? — ¿cuántos/cuántas de tus colegas fuman?
2muchosmuchasmany of the machines are imported — muchas de las máquinas son importadas
- many of us/you — muchos de nosotros/de ustedes
- answer as many of the questions as possible — conteste todas las preguntas que pueda
- I've got twice as many as you — yo tengo el doble que tú
- as many as 26 are still missing — todavía faltan nada menos que 26
- however many you eat, you still want more — te comas las que te comas, te quedas con ganas de comer más
- I don't want this many — yo no quiero tantos/tantas
- would ten be too many? — ¿diez serían demasiados?
- you've given me one/two too many — me has dado uno/dos de más
3(people)muchosmany would disagree with that opinion — muchos no estarían de acuerdo con esa opinión
- for the good of the many — por el bien de la mayoría
- how many must die before this war finishes? — ¿cuántos han de morir antes de que esta guerra se acabe?
- Worst of all, these were the very questions on the minds of many of the public back home.
- He is also an expert in solar technology and many of the bus stops will run on solar and wind power.
- The council plans to bring in a private partner to run and manage many of its buildings.
- These parties may win many of their votes on the race issue, but they win very few votes.
- I can warn you now that many of you are not going to like what I'm going to do with the place.
- Many errors do not cause harm, but in many ways these are as important as those that do.
- From the point of view of the individual, trial by jury is a good thing for many reasons.
- Towneley is the largest of Burnley's many parks and is a jewel in the crown of the town.
- Irrespective of that fact, the message of the time is that too many of us use the car too much.
- At least two of them tend to accompany me on many of my journeys beyond these walls.
- It is here that many people come as they prepare for their leap of faith across the border.
- Cycling can and should be used when possible but for many it is simply not a viable option.
- It was a time when many of his old so-called friends had dropped him like a hot potato.
- Over the years, many of those who used to be members have died or live in care homes.
- The hunt ride was a fixture of the event many years ago, but was reinstated this year.
- There is a long way to go yet with these proposals, and possibly many changes to be made.
- They say the measure of the man is in the number and quality of friends he keeps and John had many.
- Most of the hard work was done by women, since many of the men had gone off to find employment.
- Over the past few weeks he has appeared in many of the smaller venues where he started out.
- You may have weapons he seems to say, but we are still men and there are many of us.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.