In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1desfile masculineparada feminine
- The Armistice ceremony and a march past led by veterans from the Falklands conflict in 1982 will be attended by the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and other senior members of the Royal Family.
- It will also feature a march past led by the Pipes and Drums, a battalion roll call, standard bearer competition and a display of vintage military vehicles.
- At half-time, the march past by many of Scotland's medallists from the Olympics and Paralympics showed that our strength lies in individual sports such as cycling.
- With floats from the schools, Brownies, Guides, Beavers and charities as well as a march past by the local cadets, there really was something for everyone.
- Before the march past, an open-air service of commemoration was held in Dean's Park in the grounds of York Minster, where the 2nd Division Memorial is sited.
- A general salute for the town was conducted, followed by a march past through the square, an event appreciated by a large local crowd.
- Following the service, hundreds of veterans and serving sailors performed a march past outside the cathedral.
- After the presentation the unit proceeded to demonstrate its marching and drill skills with a march past and ‘advance in review’ order.
- Cameras will also be present at the march past of veterans in Southsea near Portsmouth.
- An unusual aspect of the march past was that the players trooped into the stadium in two groups - Africans and Asians, and not in a countrywise order.
- There was also vocal support aplenty for each provincial team, but the loudest cheer was for the Border team when they brought up the rear at the march past of all squads at the opening ceremony.
- To mark his retirement a stand down parade was held on McDermott Square followed by a march past at Head Office of the Defence Forces Training Centre.
- Serving troops of the Allied nations, including the Light Dragoons 13 th / 18th Royal Hussars, conducted a march past.
- Experienced bagpipe players play in their stables regularly so that they will be used to the sound of Scotland's national instrument before the march past on January 1 next year.
- After the rally, many of the 200 protesters staged a short march past the town's war memorial in Old Milton Road.
- The event will include a march past of veterans and parade along the cliffs.
- After the service, there will be a march past where the Mayor of Bury and the Lord Lieutenant of Greater Manchester will take the salute.
- A number of activities have been lined up for the cricket week and will include a march past and demonstrations of various aspects of the sport by ZCU officials.
- Cadets do the regular march past at the annual State-level inter-collegiate contest at Loyola College.
- The march past of the teams was tremendous fun, trying to place the small nations on the globe before the commentators did.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.