In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1martes de Carnaval masculine
- No, actually, it's a Mardi Gras king cake, which my attorney was kind enough to send to my office Friday.
- A man on the traffic signal above us started beating a Mardi Gras rhythm on a pot.
- You've got yourself this Mardi Gras outfit and a whole sack of illusions.
- Second place went to the Copmanthorpe Pre-School Playgroup for its rain forest-themed float and the Temple Lane Playgroup came third with its float which had a Mardi Gras theme.
- By the time the night of the dance arrived, Chub had acquired a Mardi Gras mask and an extra long raincoat to use as a costume.
- Back then, he was wearing the handsome uniform of the Fairfield (S.C.) Central High School marching band as part of a Mardi Gras parade.
- They also have their eyes on ‘a stunning 1500 capacity venue in a secret location’ for a Mardi Gras party, apparently.
- The Grand Marshals shows a dapper older couple riding on a Mardi Gras float.
- He had on some Mardi Gras beads, but his lips stood out the most… considering he had on really bright red lipgloss.
- Yes, Virginia, there will be a Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 2006.
- A traditional King Cake will be served, and whoever gets the piece containing a bean will win a CD, a drink and a Mardi Gras crown.
- The loping interplay of euphonium, trumpet, sax and trombone on ‘Segala’, and the glorious swagger of Oblemou wouldn't sound out of place at a Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
- The museum stocks stuff like the necklace Britney wore in a Mardi Gras parade and two dresses from her Star Search days.
- Stanley mocks her more by telling her that her outfit is a Mardi Gras costume.
- Officials say there will be a Mardi Gras in February.
- They always had a Mardi Gras drink called the Hurricane.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.