In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1caléndula femininemaravilla feminine
- If you are tempted to plant annual flower seedlings, consider the most heat-tolerant ones such as petunias, calendulas, cosmos & African marigolds.
- Calendula, also known as Scotch or pot marigold, is another old trouper.
- I went upstairs on the roof and sat among the potted plants, among the violets and chrysanthemums and marigolds and daisies.
- Fast-growing annuals such as nasturtium, candytuft and pot marigold can still be sown.
- The field was dotted with a wide assortment of colors, both vibrant in their autumn oranges and yellow marigolds and subdued with pastels of pink and sky.
- Most people are familiar with pot marigold and nasturtium, my favourite good-value plant with its peppery-tasting leaves, decorative edible flowers, and plump seeds that can be pickled as capers.
- Their garden includes an impressive display of petunias, orange marigolds and lilies, and hundreds of eye-catching colours are on display.
- If you have a history of allergy to daisies, ragweed, marigolds, chrysanthemums, or related plants, you may be more at risk of having an allergic reaction to echinacea.
- Its fern-like foliage provides a soft background for smaller sun-loving petunias, daisies, marigolds and others.
- Poppies, sweet peas, pot marigold and gilia are all waiting in our yard for attention.
- There were also carnations, marigolds and daisies planted around the sides of the garden.
- For example - a bright blue pot planted with orange marigolds stands out in any setting.
- Vibrant orange marigolds sit quite comfortably close to the paler blue cornflower.
- The air is awash with the fragrance of marigolds as families weep and hug their departing ones: proud and sad and a little apprehensive, but incredibly happy for what the future holds.
- The yellow of their egg yolks will be an even more intense golden color thanks to the natural orange pigments in the marigolds.
- Dark-leafed Heuchera ‘Palace Purple’ and bright orange pot marigold add contrast and stop the group looking wishy-washy.
- There were daisies, petunias, tulips, marigolds, and sunflowers.
- It is also know as pot marigold, but should not to be confused with the common garden marigolds of the Tagetes species.
- These included lilacs, lindens, Virginia creeper, marigolds, sunflowers, honeysuckle, pinks, and daisies.
- Almost hypnotic he thought, and upon closing his eyes he saw a vast field of marigolds and daisies that had covered the backyard to his home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.