In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1also MarineMilitaryinfante de marina masculinethe Marines — (in US) los marines
- Men who are recently out of the army or marines are favored to play hostile gunmen.
- At certain junctures, you're given marines under your command to carry out your mission.
- Seven other marines from 3 Commando Brigade and four American soldiers also died.
- Members of the marines have not always been appreciated by the sailors who served alongside them.
- Iraqi forces ambushed marines when they crossed the Euphrates river near Nassiriya.
- The marines ' assault echelon had three hours to offload before tidefall threatened to beach their ships.
- It was one of the first objectives of American and British marines when they moved into Southern Iraq.
- American marines landed in Beirut to ensure the survival of the Lebanon.
- American marines defeated Iraqi forces in a battle on the outskirts of Basra.
- The army and the marines have witnessed a similar rise in the number of applicants.
- Yet protesters at Shannon witnessed hundreds of marines in Desert camouflage gear.
- The marines had been hastily deployed to evacuate British nationals from the anarchy.
- The army could see this coming with what the marines have been doing for the last few decades.
- The marines were the first combat troops ashore in Vietnam, the first to die in that confusing war.
- I went to live with my aunt's dad, who was a drill sergeant in the marines, and he tried to turn me into a soldier.
- With a range of five kilometres, marines can set them up behind advancing troops, clearing the way ahead.
- By contrast, the marines spent three months patrolling Afghanistan without locating the enemy.
- He was alone but managed to look more dangerous than a troop of marines ready to kill.
- Within a week, the marines will have arrived at the bustling military hub.
- Could they have been reacting like that to news of a strategic redeployment of US marines?
2(fleet)the merchant / mercantile marine — la marina mercante
1(organisms/life/biology) marino(engineering) naval(science) marino(science) del mar
- Fortunately, the vast majority of marine assistance cases involve towing, not salvage.
- She plays Silly, a Nova Scotian seasprite of girl who is the subject of a marine tragedy of, er, Titanic proportions.
- In fact, haddock look positively ferocious compared to these innocuous marine travelers.
- The data should prove to be a gold mine to boating groups, government agencies and the marine industry.
- Sea turtles are marine reptile living in salt water but have lungs and they come to the surface to breathe air.
- In the case of a marine engineer, the highest post is that of a Chief Engineer.
- This is a centre of marine science excellence in the world, here in Townsville.
- Marina Hemingway was established there but the campaign to promote marine tourism had just begun.
- Sirenians are vegetarians, feeding on a variety of marine algae and higher plants.
- After a period of teaching, he arrived in Wales in 1959 to study marine biology and bio-chemistry.
- That included studying marine biology at university and even becoming an actor for a few years, which established his love of the theatre.
- His painting of sea and marine organisms had distinct colour patterns and perfect symmetry.
- He determined the way oil blocks out light has a more harmful effect on marine plants than ingestion of the oil itself.
- The same procedure is used when placing calls via the marine operator to shoreside telephones.
- Every year, roughly eight hundred Americans lose their lives in marine accidents.
- He was proud of his service as a marine engineer who became a farmer, then a businessman and above all, a great servant of the people of this area.
- Marine biologists have reported a growing number of exotic fish and marine creatures in British waters.
- Rock lobster, crab and oysters add to the spread of commercial marine species.
- They have an important role in maintaining a balance of marine life on the reef but they do not build structures.
- Thirty years ago, the marine industry said boat recall laws would break its back.
- No one was injured and there just happened to be a qualified marine repairman on the dock when we put the boat into its slip.
- Whale Study Week includes boat trips as well as classes in whale biology and general marine ecology.
- As almost everyone knows, Trinidad is the place to have marine parts shipped in.
- Forests are still being cut down, marine life is being destroyed.
- Should we hire a marine surveyor to inspect the boat once it's returned to us?
- Other applications have included beacons for emergency services vehicles and marine navigation lights.
- Perhaps, appropriately, his Swedish girlfriend, Boel, is a marine biologist.
- Beyond the increase in activity of the human kind, the dream of Scylla turning into an underwater haven for marine life looks to be turning to fruition.
- He was a marine engineer, a world traveler, and it was from him that I acquired some of my wanderlust.
- What the marine trades must develop, along with the schools, is an apprenticeship program.
- We do expect to see representatives of marine equipment and services start to show more interest in this area very soon.
- So, who is this marine surveyor, this person upon whom you are placing your trust?
- Tom's marine biology degree shows in his concern for the environment.
- The coursework for my degree in marine biology taught me that we know very little about the sea, especially the life in it.
- It is important to note that most marine companies are dedicated to building safe and reliable products.
- He left school at 16 with no qualifications and began his career as a marine engineer, at one time working on the Isle of Wight.
- It also damages plants and animals, including the plankton that sustains the marine food chain.
- Instead, they use sea minerals extracted from marine plants to reduce dimpling and improve skin tone.
- If we have to upgrade some of our technology to allow text messaging on marine radio, then let's make it so.
- Plants also feed the marine life and animals the carnivores among us eat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.