In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Although the crew reckoned it was a poor day, we still caught two good sailfish, a white marlin and a barracuda.
- In turn, the squid is preyed upon by large fish such as marlin and swordfish, and it's a main staple of sperm whales.
- The blue marlin and its cousins, the white marlin, swordfish and sailfish, bring up the rear.
- Billfish fall into four groups, treated under marlin, sailfish, spearfish, and swordfish.
- The riskiest fish are large and predatory such as tuna, marlin and swordfish.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.