In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pantano masculinefeminine marisma
- Living in freshwater marshes with areas of open water, they stalk fish, eels, frogs and insects.
- The landscape of the national parks is endless stretches of salt water marshes rather than canyons or petrified forests.
- All around our coastline we have estuaries, docks, harbours, marshes and breakwaters.
- Explorer days are also an opportunity to find more about local habitats such as woodlands, bogs, coast and marshes.
- Our boat noses into the tidal marsh, and we spot nesting egrets and barking sea lions.
- Large parts of the marsh are now in use as a buffer area when food stock is temporarily depleted.
- It is a large fresh water lake associated with marshes on the flood plains of the river.
- The Romans became practised at draining marshes to rid areas of malaria-carrying mosquitoes.
- On the first day after the flood, two of the large creatures were found in a nearby marsh area and returned to the farm.
- Until late October the birds may be found on estuaries, flooded coastal marshes and farm reservoirs.
- Yet too many of the bottom lands, swamps, and marshes that drew me back no longer exist.
- The boundary between the mudflat and the retreating marsh is a unique environment.
- North of the main park is a marsh, though the plants are new and haven't grown enough to be visible.
- The distribution of plants in freshwater marshes is driven by competition, inundation and draw-down.
- They prefer life on the shores of deep, clear rivers, lakes, large marshes, and ocean bays.
- The wetlands, its seeps and its marshes are jealousy maintained and protected from all disturbance.
- Farmers simply saw the marsh as unproductive land that could be used for grazing animals.
- When the flood plains dry up cattle graze on the succulent marsh grass which grew while the plains were filled with water.
- In the shallow marshes near the river grows a unique type of yellow water lily.
- Folk are few and far between amid these rounded hills, rocky ridges, peat bogs and marshes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.