In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pantano masculinefeminine marisma
- Yet too many of the bottom lands, swamps, and marshes that drew me back no longer exist.
- The distribution of plants in freshwater marshes is driven by competition, inundation and draw-down.
- On the first day after the flood, two of the large creatures were found in a nearby marsh area and returned to the farm.
- The wetlands, its seeps and its marshes are jealousy maintained and protected from all disturbance.
- The Romans became practised at draining marshes to rid areas of malaria-carrying mosquitoes.
- Folk are few and far between amid these rounded hills, rocky ridges, peat bogs and marshes.
- Our boat noses into the tidal marsh, and we spot nesting egrets and barking sea lions.
- When the flood plains dry up cattle graze on the succulent marsh grass which grew while the plains were filled with water.
- Farmers simply saw the marsh as unproductive land that could be used for grazing animals.
- All around our coastline we have estuaries, docks, harbours, marshes and breakwaters.
- Living in freshwater marshes with areas of open water, they stalk fish, eels, frogs and insects.
- It is a large fresh water lake associated with marshes on the flood plains of the river.
- The landscape of the national parks is endless stretches of salt water marshes rather than canyons or petrified forests.
- The boundary between the mudflat and the retreating marsh is a unique environment.
- Explorer days are also an opportunity to find more about local habitats such as woodlands, bogs, coast and marshes.
- They prefer life on the shores of deep, clear rivers, lakes, large marshes, and ocean bays.
- North of the main park is a marsh, though the plants are new and haven't grown enough to be visible.
- In the shallow marshes near the river grows a unique type of yellow water lily.
- Until late October the birds may be found on estuaries, flooded coastal marshes and farm reservoirs.
- Large parts of the marsh are now in use as a buffer area when food stock is temporarily depleted.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.