In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1marcialcastrensemartial music — música militar feminine
- Both genres are based on stories of different kinds of martial quest.
- The martial, or fighting arts are among humankind's oldest avocations.
- The British, impressed by the martial spirit of the Gurkhas, began recruiting them into the Indian army.
- Some may be obscure to people who haven't read much about martial culture or military history.
- Dreams of martial glory are hardly uncommon in 19-year-olds all over the world.
- Too often, the country seems to be engrossed in a mythic, heroic narrative of patriotic, martial prowess.
- He was unarmed, and carried no military gear or other indicators of martial status.
- He has done a great service in bringing more attention to the western martial tradition and history.
- His skill with the staff was incredible, as was to be expected of the prince's martial education.
- Their martial glory reflects a greater glory that they both serve and exemplify at its highest.
- Once, Englishmen took Henry V's exhortations to martial self-sacrifice as inspiring.
- In the opening part there are fight scenes woven around him to introduce us to his martial skills.
- There are few stunts and only rudimentary fight sequences, dependent upon fire power rather than martial artistry.
- Male viewers would have seen him as an exemplar of heroic and martial prowess.
- This injury left him unfit for military service but did not seem to affect his martial ability.
- This fusion of martial and performing arts is sure to kindle the curiosity of the young, who adapt easily to innovations.
- The production is more than a simple demonstration of martial qualities.
- Sparta was a martial society, which did away with any sickly child at birth.
- When not walking, Kevin would practice his martial skills in his practice room, focussing on them and nothing else for hours at a time.
- In fact, as the historians are beginning to reveal, there is nothing new about the warrior's dream of martial perfection.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.