In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Virtually every Native American organization has condemned the use of demeaning images or mascots.
- Their three mascots are unable to make the game due to family commitments, while their players are unable to attend because they are on holiday until Monday.
- All that death and sadness is in the past, and we have sporting events right now in need of a comical mascot.
- Our mascot has been a popular figure at matches and events outside of football.
- He was actually a mascot for the team at the Reebok Stadium earlier in the year.
- The work opens with the team leader feeding the team mascot, a fish called Plugger.
- Perth Zoo is another fine place to see native wildlife, such as the platypus and echidna that were the inspiration for the Olympic mascots.
- In many games, he was known to have mock battles with his trusty sword and threaten the opposing team's mascots.
- Elephants have always been Kerala's most favourite mascots, all the more so appealing when they are dressed up for temple or tourism fêtes.
- Coloured in the five hues of the Olympic rings, the mascots also represent the sea, forests, fire, earth and air.
- Lisa's room was filled with a collection of advertising mascots disguised as playthings.
- The event, in which mascots race each other over a series of fences, has been going for three years.
- The potential strike by football mascots is gathering momentum, just seven days after the move was revealed by the Evening Press.
- He is a talented and hardworking player - and seen as a lucky mascot for the team.
- The mascots will be teamed up with players according to their height.
- With him during his epic journey was his mascot, Algy, a large white rabbit.
- Another difference between the two divisions is the originality of pre-match entertainment offered by the clubs' furry mascots.
- Every Saturday during football season, hundreds of men climb into foam and fur costumes to spend 90 minutes cavorting as club mascots.
- He will be the team mascot and will lead the players out onto the pitch.
- Generally, mascots are chosen because they represent honor, valor and bravery.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.