In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Unsharp Mask is an old photography trick that has become available to ‘the common man’ through the introduction of digital editing tools.
- In this tutorial we will be focusing on how we can create a photo mask from a new document.
- You may notice that the entire image has the unsharp mask applied to it beforehand.
- If a diffused edge is preferred on the image, the mask can be placed on top of the glass rather than under it.
- The images are quite large (600x400 pixels), but when you load the masks, they conform to the size of your photo.
1.1(for ritual, disguise)máscara femininecareta femininemasculine antifaz
- He gave a soft chuckle and his light eyes made his silver mask less frightening.
- Here is a bus full of them wearing identical masks; this same mask shows up often, but I have no idea what it depicts.
- Guests were asked to come along in fancy dress or carry an eye mask.
- To frighten his enemies, he began to wear a fearsome mask when he went into battle.
- It promises to be a wacky race featuring disguises and masks and neo-virginal veils of innocence.
- The colourful use of masks, live music and puppets, both large and small, are used to illustrate this fun, clever and moving story.
- The expensive, bought costumes and masks are very often inappropriate and can genuinely frighten smaller children, she adds.
- She flipped down the veil on her mask, looking fretfully at the figure ahead of her.
- Closer to me were two children, also wearing masks.
- Two other men, both wearing masks, then jumped in.
- The only way to differentiate between them was their domino masks.
- Some put on frightening masks, some had their faces tattooed with scary figures while a few had horns growing out of their heads.
- Here the players designed and constructed their own masks.
- On her face is a domino mask decorated to look like a bird's face and beak.
- The device beeped twice as the display lit up, revealing the face of a young woman in a domino mask.
- Men wearing masks dance among them in an attempt to frighten the child, who has to walk clockwise through this scene of carnage.
- He left just 25 tiny flakes of skin on a woman's stocking which he wore as a mask then discarded in a stolen getaway car.
- Even the tots wore their costumes and enjoyed the fun, peering through their grotesque masks, and frightening their elders.
- Even bandanas, which could be used as masks, are discouraged.
- The masks and disguises donned by nearly every character in the play create a dizzying parody of both the theatre itself and society.
1.2feminine caretafeminine mascarillamasculine barbijogafas de buceoanteojos de buceofeminine mascarilla
- Edwards appeared at the podium wearing his number 59 Chargers jersey and a football mask.
- The French fencing master La Boessiere invented the fencing mask, allowing a much safer bout.
- There are no problems with his level of fitness but this is a facial injury and the mask might speed up his return.
- The surgical mask serves to collect bacteria from the nasopharyngeal airway of the wearer.
- When health workers come into contact with suspected cases they and the patients will wear surgical masks.
- Staff members caring for the patient and those cleaning the room must wear fit-tested masks.
- Wear a protective mask, covering nose and mouth, to decrease the percentage of polluted air breathed.
- A plastic mask covered her mouth and nose, feeding oxygen to her in her oblivion.
- Sometimes patients complain it is hard to breath with the white masks.
- Only recently were the protective outfits and masks adopted by fencers.
- An ambulance crew or doctor arriving at the scene will give oxygen through a mask or nose tubes to increase the amount reaching the heart.
- After surgery oxygen-enriched air can be provided via a mask.
- If the child has cyanosis, they may need to receive extra oxygen through a mask.
- Precautions for droplet infection should be instituted, including the wearing of masks and rigorous disinfection and hygiene procedures.
- The oxygen is breathed in through tubes that you put in your nose or through a mask that goes over your mouth and nose.
- The flow rate of fixed concentration masks should be adjusted for patients with high peak inspiratory flows.
- Jemma said she wanted to be injected, but on the morning of her operation this proved difficult and she had to inhale anaesthetic via a mask.
- She pulled her hair into a medical hat and applied a mask on her nose and mouth.
- He once stepped onto the ice for practice, wearing nothing but a mask and his skates.
- An example of this occurred when a company was asked to compare the resistance of several surgical masks to blood penetration.
- Perhaps surgical masks also should be standard wear for patients.
- He had grown used to it, at least when he had his mask and filters that allowed him to breathe.
- He activates a control on his belt and activates his mask's infrared filter.
- For this treatment, a patient will wear a mask over their nose during sleep that blows air into their throat at a pressure level that is right for them.
- Whether a surgical mask or something even more sophisticated could protect you is unclear.
- The device works by converting medication into a mist and delivering it through a mask that you wear over your nose and mouth.
- High risk of exposure to an unknown or known agent may necessitate that an N95 respirator mask be used.
- Worn correctly, the mask should cover the nose with the metal band contouring to the bridge of the nose.
- The umpire took his mask off and gave me a look, knowing that it was a purpose pitch.
- You should wear eye goggles, a mask over your nose and mouth, and rubber or latex gloves.
- When Rees was giving birth, she was close to blacking out from pain and turned to reach for the mask supplying a painkilling gas.
- A mask connected to a small air supply had been strapped harshly over her face.
- There may even be hostility between the goalies that even their masks can't hide.
- The catcher throws his mask off and he's not sure where the ball is.
- The fencing mask gives a good level of visibility, can be removed quickly if grappling happens.
- Unless a mask is worn, blood or other secretions from the patient can enter the surgeon's mouth, maximising the chances of infection.
- For this treatment, you will wear a mask over your nose during sleep that blows air into your throat at a pressure level that is right for you.
- Throughout lower Manhattan, rescue workers and police officers wore surgical masks to protect them from the dust.
- His mission accomplished, he covered his mouth and nose with a mask and entered the room.
- When you need to use a dust mask or respirator, be sure to use the right one for the job.
- The gauze mask helped protect her burned face until she could receive treatment in hospital.
- The fan is powered and configured with the exterior of the filter body to aid in drawing air through the filter media of the mask.
- But he also noted that catchers didn't always wear masks, and neither did hockey goaltenders.
- Players sport masks that discourage even traces of light from influencing them.
- Always wear a dust mask or respirator when using a sander to prevent inhalation of sawdust.
- As he was an habitual wearer of a dust mask, it is far from clear to me why this adjustment was made.
- She was in a fencing outfit, so they couldn't see her face, because of the fencing mask.
- Or you might try a nebulized form of the anesthetic lidocaine, which you inhale through a mask as a fine mist.
- Then, if a patient is asked to wear a mask while the physician rules out an infection of concern, it will not be a new concept to the patient.
- Giants catcher Hank Gowdy, however, stumbled over his mask and dropped the ball.
- Patients should wear a mask during transport from the ward to the surgical suite, if possible.
- If any visitor or family member has an illness, either the patient or the ill person should wear a mask.
- The Ukranian marksman seems reluctant to play with a protective mask, and will in all probability miss out to be replaced again by Jon Dahl Tomasson.
- Last of all, she put on the fencing mask, through which she could see Victoria, but her face wouldn't get hit.
- Other treatments that work for some people are breathing oxygen through a mask or using a numbing medicine in the nose.
1.3(cosmetic)mascarilla (facial) femininemáscara (facial) feminine
1.4(façade)máscara feminineto drop the mask — quitarse la máscara
- Personal conflict chipped away at the mask that hid her true persona from the world.
- Of course, everyone wearing masks that hid their true intentions didn't help much.
- Many of the characters within the play hide behind a mask of falseness.
- Only at home did he remove the mask of the iron autocrat and become a warm personality.
- But behind all the masks, even camouflaged, he cannot hide from the truth.
- Hidden beneath the mask of apathy, there is an unsuspected energy and a great human, moral and spiritual charge.
- The best analogy I can think of is that I was looking for a mask to conceal my true feelings.
- This is no time for wearing the shallow mask of manners.
- It helped me to escape my feelings, it was my mask, I could hide behind it.
- He was used to Kenny's mood swings and this enabled him to hide behind a mask of tranquillity.
- By now, she knew she could no longer hide from her true feelings, donning a mask of self-denial.
- To me they were I realise now a mask to hide behind.
- He manages to portray the sensitive man under the sadistic mask by tonal inflections and body language, admirably.
- At least the womenfolk didn't hide their feelings behind masks of stone.
- When we don the mask of sanity and hide our true feelings from each other, we also avoid having to face up to our moral complicity in the bombings.
- The carefree, friendly man returned, but I knew it was a mask to hide the turmoil.
- He is certainly composed but beneath the mask of elegant good manners the man is a bundle of nerves.
- Being smartly dressed not only allows a man to be elegant and appear important but it also gives him a mask to hide behind and perform in.
- We all wear masks in real life, when dealing with others, and the internet provides us with a more effective one, as we project a chosen image through our computer.
2Photographymáscara femininepantalla feminine
1(conceal)ocultartrees masked the building (from view) — los árboles ocultaban / no dejaban ver el edificio
- these figures mask the extent of the problem — estas cifras encubren / ocultan la magnitud del problema
- she tried to mask her disappointment — trató de disimular su decepción
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.