In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Wrapped in our sheets, we were taken in, five at a time, to have our buttocks pummelled by five very large and efficient masseuses armed with baby oil, who slapped, pinched and kneaded our flabbiest bits without the slightest hesitation.
- All the therapists, from nail technicians to masseuses have degree qualifications.
- The 32-year-old hip-hop star has also requested a personal masseuse to be on hand at all times and a selection of low-carb health products
- Even more convenient, the makers promise that a 20-minute session gives the same effects as a one-hour session from a human masseuse.
- The masseuse applied fragrant medicated oils on the head and body in plentiful measure as one lay on a high wooden plank on the secluded verandah of an open walled courtyard.
- I have taken the precaution of booking a masseuse; after the powerful jets have done their work she starts hers.
- The masseuse said she'd never known anyone with such knotted shoulders.
- The club has invited professional masseuses to knead away the body tensions.
- I had been told by my work colleagues that the unassuming green door near my flat was that of a blind masseuse.
- We followed the female masseuse back into the spa and discovered that there was no way upstairs.
- She would call masseuses to treat guests after they had worked out.
- Made in India, this rolling massage tool will unburden the hands of amateur masseurs and masseuses, and can double as a gift for yourself.
- Having had a two-hour massage the day before, I greatly appreciated the skills of my masseuse.
- We book a top-notch team of psychotherapists, hypnotists, masseurs and masseuses, motivators and life coaches.
- She also makes natural hair-care products and has a masseuse and makeup artist on staff.
- The masseuse bathes my feet then unlocks a few facial pressure points while I succumb to the ambient flute music and scents of clove and ylang-ylang oil.
- The spa is, for the most part, outdoors, so as the masseuse pounded me with hot stones, I listened to the sounds of the rainforest and the hotsprings rushing.
- Backroom staff including physiotherapists and masseuses from the Football Club are looking to use ancient medicinal arts to guarantee their future success.
- While practising in the bedroom is a great starting point for aspiring masseuses and masseurs, making it as a professional is a little more rigorous.
- I want to be in Hawaii, relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse and the love of my life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.