In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)sargento mayor masculine
- He is a retired master sergeant with over 20 years of service.
- By July, I was getting a fair share of the test hops and getting to know the grizzled old master sergeant who ran the engineering section.
- Initially, this key faculty element was made up of a mixture of master sergeants, sergeants major, captains and majors.
- For the recent sergeant first class promotion list, it is 19 months; and for the current master sergeant and sergeant major list, it is 12 months.
- A senior first lieutenant commanded the FASCO and a master sergeant served as the noncommissioned office in charge.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.