In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She's now an aviation electrician's mate and soon will start in the shop for electricians.
- We had no lifting training and were not provided with driver's mates to assist with the lifting involved.
1.2Nauticaloficial de cubierta femininefirst mate — primer oficial masculine
- This was only to be expected, and it was the mate and second mates' jobs to motivate them with threats and promises.
- To make matters worse, he put the tanker on autopilot and he left the helm in the hands of a fatigued third mate.
- Several of the crewmen had heard word of their new expedition, and could not help but to share it with their fellow mates.
- Therefore the defendant's fault was not a cause of the collision which occurred while the mate was in charge of the ship.
- The same applied to the sailing master, his mate, and the carpenter when they also arrived.
- It seems likely that there was a minimum crew comprising master, mate, boatswain, at least two seamen and possibly one apprentice.
- When a sailor ‘belonged’ to a ship his main loyalty was to his ship and his mates.
- Two are professionally qualified skippers and mates; the others are volunteer crew.
- Johnny tried, failed, and eventually gave up on getting the captain and mate to reach peace.
- Perhaps the captain and his mate would like to make me an offer?
- The ship's mates would be here at any minute, and I would lose my charter to Antwerp if I was caught.
- Some say they are old mates or boatswains watching to see that your job is done in a proper ship-shape way.
2.1Zoologymasculine machofeminine hembra
- The bird lives there for free along with his mates and fledglings.
- Paired with a loving mate, this sign makes a loyal and ever-interesting lover.
- So, I asked my daughter, do the teachers talk of love - for mate and child - in terms of respect?
- Image is everything in Hollywood, and one's mate is among one's most important accessories.
- The male partner will provision his mate with food but does not go into the maternity den.
- From this perspective, the problem of your missus or your mate takes on added significance.
- Her devoted mate of five decades was an insurance agent.
- It is always terrifying to give birth; how much more so without one's mate there to share the moment?
- Even animals have their mates, although some just procreate and leave.
- The bird and its mate had built the nest in the bottom of the box and laid five tiny eggs.
- He then told them that he would take all steps necessary so that the zoo gets new species of animals and mates for those animals that are single now.
- Her mate appeared to counter-sing in response to the song of the female.
- Many are still waiting, but some morning soon they too will wake to the lilt of a backyard bird pleading for a mate.
- I mean, that's terrible to lose a life partner and a mate at any age, but certainly at a young age like that.
- You are a passionate, compassionate, sexual lover, requiring the same qualities from your mate.
- In medieval times, there was a romantic belief that birds chose their mate in February.
- This was the time when the birds were believed to choose their mate for the spring.
- How did your potential mate treat his/her last girlfriend, boyfriend, husband or wife?
- Whenever possible, we selected birds whose mates were present at the nest to ensure that chicks were not left alone.
- A randy tortoise is on the run after scaling a two-foot wall in search of a new partner after his mate of 38 years died.
- The birds attract mates by the color intensity of their feathers - a signal of their desirability.
- When an incubating bird is relieved by its returning mate, it leaves the nest immediately and flies away from the island.
- Her devoted mate of six decades is a retired production supervisor.
- Girls should have the confidence to play hard to get, to wait until they find a mate who matches their demands rather than giving in so easily.
- Andean condor Homer and his mate Marge are love birds again - after vets gave him a blunter beak to save her from the sharp side of his temper.
- To examine this question, we looked at the age of the mates of birds that did not emigrate.
- She said if we treated our husbands / mates like we treated our pet dogs, our marriages would be happier.
- At this stage males still accept additional mates and are actively courting.
- It traps pheromones to alert potential mates of sexual receptivity.
- This animal, which has lived without a mate for her entire life at the zoo, will always be remembered as one who never fell ill and as one who never threw a tantrum.
- Birds sing to establish territories and to attract mates.
- Both admitted intentionally killing a wild bird, injuring its mate and having a loaded air rifle without lawful authority.
- Focus on muscle control as you stare into your mate's eyes and mirror his moves.
2.2(of person)pareja femininecompañero masculinecompañera feminine
2.3US (of shoe, sock etc)compañero masculinecompañera feminine
- Have you ever wondered as to the whereabouts of the mate to those odd socks you find in the dryer or your sock drawer?
3.1British informal (friend)amigo masculineamiga femininecompañero masculinecompañera femininecuate masculine Mexico informalcuata feminine Mexico informalhe's a good mate of mine — es muy amigo mío
- And if I have mistranslated, remember that it's all from my memory, mate.
- Anyway, my doctor friend and his golfing mates are welcome to have a cutting.
- He didn't tell his mates at school about all his medical problems and he didn't mention that against all the odds, he was a sporting champion.
- It's all about meeting up with old mates, making new friends and being part of a massive crowd with one thing in common.
- A couple of years ago, I had a bunch of my mates and their respective partners back at my place after we'd all been out at some do or other.
- ‘These days it's sibling revelry, mate,’ Tim jokes in his soft New Zealand accent.
- ‘You shouldn't leave your door open, mate,’ he said as he realised I was right behind him.
- On the way back we bought fresh mangoes and dragon fruit from a road side stall and my mates made friends with the owner and got double portions.
- You reach your own conclusions, mate, I don't have to spell it out.
- You will need to watch the thing more than once, mate.
- He has few mates, preferring the company of his current partner, two children from different couplings, a hound and local goats.
- He prepared for the head shave by growing his hair for three months - and putting up with teasing from his mates at school.
- Go on the cabbage soup diet, mate, it worked for me.
- So at the bus stop outside work at 3.30 pm, I ran into an old mate from school.
- Not on your bloody life, mate, we know what's in it.
- Bear in mind that you can buy without a guilty conscience - it's for charity, mate!
- I am now retired, time-rich and have a wealth of good friends and drinking mates.
- None of that euphemistic glowing or perspiring here, mate.
- The subdued lighting and stylish interior are perfect for a pre-club swally with mates or an intimate quaff with your latest flame.
- His mates woke him with seconds to spare, and he dressed somewhat hurriedly.
- The defendant then shouted at the injured driver, ‘There's no damage, mate, you're alright’.
- It's shaping up to be a great party, all of us together at the barbeque, mates, mates of mates and partners of mates.
- Firemen came in looking for images of their mates who had gone into the blazing buildings.
- I'm really sorry about this, mate, but it's for your own good, honest.
- A mate of mine from school is throwing a flat-warming party, which a number of people from school are going to be at.
- More and more anglers are either going solo, or going in partnership with a mate or several mates and buying their own boat.
- This one's for you, mate, and I promise never to call your wheels a ‘second division footballer's car’ again.
- And if you think you can shoot off emails like that without getting an enraged response, you'd better think again, mate.
- It may be just a smear to you, mate, but it's life and death to some poor wretch.
- The fire glows, venison stew simmers, the hunter and his mates drink beer and yarn on into a New Zealand night.
- He wound down his window, leant over, and said, ‘What direction you headed in, mate?’
- You want a slap in the face, mate?
- Better get that down you then, mate, keep the cold at bay.
- I feel like a dunce in this company, until I get talking to some of my mates in the group who share a lot of my frustrations and aspirations, and are a holy if unruly group.
- I'm also still in touch with a couple of mates from school.
- We were pals, chums, mates and the bosomiest of bosom buddies.
- I just had the perfect run, mate, it was like I was in the zone, you know, it was just all happening for me, and I just got the best run through.
- Well maybe you should mediate because I wouldn't want to be left alone in a room with her, mate.
- I do really really love going out, particularly with a mate or crowd of mates…
- That trademark murmur of his implies ‘I've seen it all before, mate, and I tell it like is.’
3.2British informal (as form of address)hermano informaltío Spain informalmacho Spain informalmano Latin America Southern Cone informalche River Plate informalgallo Chile informalamigojefemaestro Latin America
3.3workmateBritish informalcompañero (de trabajo) masculinecompañera (de trabajo) femininecolega feminine
- It was the hope of the zoo that the gorilla would mate with the female to help further the species.
- Two of the captive birds successfully mated and produced the first captive-bred condor chick the following year.
- In the fall, adults gather in the colonies to form pair bonds and mate.
- Crouching, with wings outstretched, the huge birds mate, then fly away together to a nearby glade.
- For simplicity, we assume that each individual only mates with one partner.
- Many animals and birds mate for life and this seems to work quite well for them.
- White tigers are rare because they only occur when two tigers mate and both carry the gene for white coloring.
- The pandas only have one mating season per year, and the San Diego pair did not mate.
- Researchers have found that the female monkeys and rats mate with multiple males to purposely confuse paternity.
- The big test will come next spring when it is hoped that the birds will mate.
- How do foxes manage to mate with so many animals from other social groups?
- Albatross are faithful birds and only mate once a year with one regular partner.
- Once a bull mates with a cow, he will look for greener pastures elsewhere and will not mate with the ‘old cow’ again.
- Members of the same species can mate and breed to produce fertile offspring.
- Queenless colonies generally rear male and female sexuals which typically mate in the nest.
- Two other fly species mated and formed a hybrid, a combined form that cannot mate with its fellow hybrids.
- In late winter they migrate to selected shallow bays, forming congregations to pair and eventually mate.
- Also it has been found that if a farmed fish mates with a wild fish the genetics of their spawn is modified.
- Music was pumping through the stereo system - some latest hip-hop thing that sounded like two cats mating on a tin roof.
- She just stood there, staring off at some birds mating in a tree.
1(in chess)mate masculinejaque mate masculine
- Can you find the mate in two for White in today's diagram?
- He carelessly walked into a mate in five, which he thought was simply drawing.
- For example, the chapter on endgame technique focuses on mating with bishop and knight and the rook and pawn versus rook endgame.
- He wasn't paying attention since he saw that a forced mate resulted from the line he actually played.
- This book starts with mates in one and, around page one million, moves on to mate in twos.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.