In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- With sculpted features and a mop of dark hair, he became the star of his generation and something of a matinee idol.
- You have a natural knack for fashion and occupy a suit like a matinee idol.
- He was more a matinee idol rather than an actor, and I have to admit his persona outstripped anyone on the screen in his day with the exception of Marlon Brando.
- Instead of fans going after the matinee idol, the actor himself went around to meet a lucky few.
- The guest list includes a countess, a World War I hero, a British matinee idol and an American film producer who makes Charlie Chaplin movies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.