In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Courtship and mating takes place from late winter to spring.
- In this situation the cost of mating for the female is essentially the cost of a (forced) copulation.
- The second male was always placed with the female on the day that the first mating had occurred.
- Mating can take place either in water or on land.
- It only needs just a small number to survive for the mating to be a success.
- Mating in many animals increases predation risk, and courtship is often performed near where mating will occur.
- Matings were usually performed at 23°; males produced at 25° were not as proficient in mating.
- When not engaged in territorial behaviors or mating, the winged adults forage great distances to prey on insects.
- The minerals are passed on in a sperm packet during mating, to enrich the eggs.
- The frequency of mating, researchers speculate, is meant to stimulate egg release in the female.
- Worldwide, not many areas exist where shark mating can be observed.
- The cameras were triggered automatically by any movement in the vicinity of the bower, where all courtship and mating take place.
- In the first part of the study, we investigated size-dependent mating in the field.
- Mature virgin females are highly receptive to mating.
- The methodology is applicable to the investigation of parentage for all progeny developed from parental mating without subsequent generations of inbreeding.
- In one specific example, mating in yeast, cell-cell communication is mediated by secreted peptide pheromones that stimulate physiological responses leading to mating.
- If a mating failed to occur within 10 min, we replaced the male.
- At several points during the mating, the female appeared to be trying to break free.
- Here, males maintained a constant sperm number irrespective of whether a mating involved one, two, or three males.
- Nevertheless, with random mating among sexually produced gametes, selection on a modifier of sex is very weak.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.