In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Besides shotcrete, rockbolts, stone and wire mesh, a composite product of mesh and matting on which grass can be grown is being used.
- It looks really good, and best of all, bark mulch on weed matting is low maintenance.
- The walls were a dark jade color here, the tile a light tan covered with crimson matting.
- For example, cocoa matting is probably the least expensive material you can buy to cover floors in today's world.
- People who have been in contact with farm animals in the last two weeks were being asked to postpone their visit while others were warned to wear sensible footwear for walking over disinfected matting.
- The blood was real enough, for it pooled about the tiles and was absorbed into the thick matting.
- Pots containing well-watered plants were placed on capillary matting, whereas pots of treatment plants were allowed to drain freely.
- A ribbed rubber matting is nice on the Shih Tzu grooming table and is easy to keep clean.
- She let the two of them in and let them sit down on the matting.
- The principle is the same, with a water reservoir and capillary matting, but it's much neater and tidier.
- His store also specializes in fabric-embossed matting, hand-carved mats and French matting.
- Leather shoes lasted no time at all without hobnails, and conversely, floors, whether of stone or wood, lasted no time at all without matting of some sort.
- I will need some moisture mats - thick layers of hemp fibre matting which sit on top of the waste.
- New grass will be planted on top of a mixture of sand, fertilizer, and plastic matting to ensure that the fields will not disintegrate easily.
- The venue has no seats, with the entire audience sprawled on soft wall-to-wall matting, adding to the effect.
- In some villages bamboo matting and reeds are used to form walls.
- Plainly, the mattress had been laid right on the floor, with matting of some sort and a heavy blanket under it.
- The matting had an outside dimension of 40 by 43 inches.
- In reality, rush matting was most frequently used on floors.
- He actually had a bed to sleep in instead of matting and a cardboard box.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.