In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I use a fitted sheet because I sleep on a twin futon and the mattress is in two pieces.
- We slid down a short chute and landed on a soft mattress with everyone looking at us.
- The boys sleep on mattresses and their days are filled with school classes, sport and counselling.
- For the last week I have been sleeping on a mattress between my children's beds.
- They sleep on flimsy mattresses and wrap themselves in parkas or sleeping bags to keep warm at night.
- Pillows, mattresses, blankets and sheets were strewn throughout the room.
- For example, some parents may not be able to afford firmer mattresses or to have enough beds for all their family members.
- Instead, the box springs and mattresses are combined and a mattress pad placed over them.
- Wouldn't our back streets and green spaces look more attractive without dumped carpets, mattresses and chairs?
- Sleeping mattresses were also available for members of noble households.
- These little critters are found in mattresses, carpets, soft furniture and bedding.
- They had slept on mattresses of straw over which they had thrown clean linen and their own blankets.
- They prepared the mattresses they slept on in silence.
- The mites breed at a phenomenal rate in soft furnishings such as pillows and mattresses.
- The trailer was cramped and had no furniture except for a mattress and a wooden bench.
- The sun made its final farewell, so he flipped on a lamp and sat down on the soft mattress.
- His pillow was extremely soft, and the flannel sheets and firm mattresses were almost too comfortable.
- At nights, he was forced to sleep on a thin mattress against the stump of a tree.
- When it comes to beds and mattresses, the softest are not always the best.
- Small areas are sectioned off where people are sleeping on mattresses on pallets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.