In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2US(unbranded calf)ternero no marcado masculine
1(group/person/views) inconformista(person/group/views) heterodoxo(behavior) poco convencional
- And a long time maverick in American politics is being remembered for his influence on the nation.
- Far from being a deep-dyed traditionalist, he is a maverick, a valuable eccentric, who uses his influence to stimulate rather than stifle debate.
- Now two new biographies look for the roots of this maverick's sensibilities.
- His role as maverick was most evident was during his stints on the Open Market Committee, where he frequently squared off against the status quo.
- My informal queries revealed that those associated with you regard you as a brilliant, hardheaded maverick.
- Our democracy was forged in rebellion, crafted by mavericks and risk-takers who refused to salute authority.
- And yet that same culture would flatter us into believing we are a nation of mavericks and rebels.
- Its leader is a surreal portrait of art-school eccentricity, a social maverick up to his neck in the shifting sands of taboo and faux pas.
- The first is a private sketchbook, posthumously made public at a time when attention was turning again to this American maverick.
- A maverick, and an individual, he's running on instinct, fuelled by experience and making the right decisions.
- He used to be everybody's favorite indie maverick.
- He was the quintessential intellectual maverick - a man who thrived on bending the rules and violating the regulations.
- They want independent minds, mavericks and free thinkers.
- There is something undeniably fresh and even unpredictable about this self-described maverick.
- He seems to defy political typecasting, reveling in the role of maverick.
- For obvious reasons, the Nobel Committee is unlikely to honor this fascinating maverick now or ever.
- So I was very inspired by all of the mavericks who came out of that time.
- I was just some awkward maverick with money in his pockets.
- We've evolved from a hot young maverick to a world-class business magazine.
- What does the future hold for the band who bill themselves as the independent mavericks in a world of mere cut-outs?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.