In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1el primero de mayo(in some countries) el día del trabajo(in some countries) el día de los trabajadores
- What did May Day begin as and what do workers and activists do today to maintain the May Day tradition?
- It is with this in mind that I and thousands like me celebrated another May Day.
- On May Day 1917, 70,000 workers marched here in support of the February Revolution in Russia.
- That was the spirit that inspired the establishment of May Day as international workers day.
- How appropriate that he died on St. Joseph the Worker Day, or May Day, as it is known around the world.
- The second instalment, appearing next week, will focus on the international significance of May Day.
- France has celebrated May Day for nearly 150 years, but never so passionately.
- Some of the speeches that ran during the May Day celebrations can attest to this.
- There's a long and proud tradition of May Day being a time of celebrating the achievements of the Labour Movement the world over.
- The May Day celebrations and march was a colourful event with both speeches and exchange of gifts.
- The message of May Day is that the workers united will be in the best position to demand fair rules at work.
- The pretence that they have somehow achieved unity among workers gives them a pretext to speak in the name of workers every year on May Day.
- However, this was May Day and it was a day for workers to celebrate.
- It would indeed be a pity, not just for the May Day celebrations, but for our very liberty, if the bridge were to be closed to preclude all such activities.
- From its inception, May Day was an international phenomenon.
- AROUND 200 people attended a May Day peace festival in Aberdeen last weekend.
- In civilised parts of the world, it's May Day - a day to celebrate worker's struggles.
- I can't really be bothered to post on the May Day celebrations that took place in Oxford today.
- In the painting, Rivera included a scene of a giant May Day demonstration of workers marching with red banners.
- It was here that arguably the most potent aspect of May Day arose, the festival becoming a one-day strike in many countries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.