In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1alcalde masculinealcaldesa feminineintendente (municipal) River Plate
- Since then, a succession of mayors, city councils and police chiefs have upheld the policy.
- On the local level, the country is divided into forty districts administered by mayors and councils elected by the people.
- They also said they had been impressed by the town's mayor and borough leader.
- Both the mayor and a member of council concluded last night the community has changed.
- The reason for the difference is this: England has directly elected mayors.
- There were several cases where market towns had entered having mayors and town councils.
- Protesters voted to stay sitting there until the town's Liberal Democrat mayor came to see us.
- Sometimes there is a deadlock in a city and district, and regional councils and mayors have to show leadership and give a casting vote.
- Most cities have a city council of about 30 members and a mayor elected by the people of the city.
- I am sure I will be very happy to discuss that issue, along with many others, with local mayors and council chairs.
- As I said just a few seconds ago, I regularly meet with mayors and councillors.
- Although municipal councillors were elected, mayors were once again nominated by the government.
- Below these are regional government bodies divided into cities and districts led by mayors and councillors.
- After retirement she was town councillor and deputy mayor and was a member of many local societies.
- He believes he once tapped a vein of inspired eloquence at a state conference of mayors and shire council presidents in Dubbo.
- Executive mayors elected under the new system are paid up to £53,000 a year.
- Also Londoners have the opportunity to vote for a mayor and for members of the London Assembly.
- They thought it was like London's Lord Mayor or the mayor of their own borough.
- Now, mayors are pretty apolitical and do not get angry very often.
- It's because his photograph that appears in a gallery of former mayors in the town hall council chamber is the only one in colour.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.