1(of word) significado masculine(of word) acepción feminine(of sentence, symbol, act) significado masculinethis word has several meanings — esta palabra tiene varias acepciones / varios significados
- literal/figurative meaning — sentido literal/figurado
- to lend new meaning to sth — darle un nuevo sentido / significado a algo
- if you take my meaning — si me entiendes
- I don't quite get your meaning — no entiendo lo que quieres decir
- my life has lost its meaning — mi vida ha perdido el sentido / ya no tiene razón de ser
- that has very little meaning these days — eso significa muy poco hoy en día
- Clues abound, but definitive meaning is elusive.
- According to Indian linguistics, when we hear words, we do not decode the meaning intended by the speaker.
- Erik faced his friend and scrutinized him for hidden meanings behind his words.
- Slowly, I begin to pick up a few words and try to memorize their meanings.
- The average reader does not need a glossary for the meanings of all such words, for they are clearly elicited in the context.
- Possible meanings of words contribute to the meaning of an utterance, which is an act by a speaker.
- On first reading one may not understand all the meanings within a poem, but one can appreciate its rhythms and imagery.
- They also help communicate, in a fundamental way, the very meaning of the work.
- Surely we can imagine other meanings and contexts for these words.
- Some words are spelled the same as or very close to other words with different meanings.
- The author often employs qualitative terms without explaining their meaning.
- A principio can mean both ‘in the beginning’ and ‘from the beginning’, and the double meaning is significant.
- He was an intensely charismatic actor and conveyed the meanings of words as dramatically and sensitively as the music.
- Many of us didn't understand their meanings, but sang them all the same.
- No one could predict them or perhaps even properly understand their meanings.
- He thinks about the way one word can have two completely different meanings.
- There were many meanings in his words, and all of them made me second guess the truths I had known all my life.
- In language, intonation is an important source of meaning.
- These picture puzzles depended, like puns, on the assonance of words that have different meanings.
- Perhaps even more ironic was our conversation about names and their meanings.