In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of word) significado masculine(of word) acepción feminine(of sentence, symbol, act) significado masculinethis word has several meanings — esta palabra tiene varias acepciones / varios significados
- literal/figurative meaning — sentido literal/figurado
- to lend new meaning to sth — darle un nuevo sentido / significado a algo
- if you take my meaning — si me entiendes
- I don't quite get your meaning — no entiendo lo que quieres decir
- my life has lost its meaning — mi vida ha perdido el sentido / ya no tiene razón de ser
- that has very little meaning these days — eso significa muy poco hoy en día
- Clues abound, but definitive meaning is elusive.
- According to Indian linguistics, when we hear words, we do not decode the meaning intended by the speaker.
- Erik faced his friend and scrutinized him for hidden meanings behind his words.
- Slowly, I begin to pick up a few words and try to memorize their meanings.
- The average reader does not need a glossary for the meanings of all such words, for they are clearly elicited in the context.
- Possible meanings of words contribute to the meaning of an utterance, which is an act by a speaker.
- On first reading one may not understand all the meanings within a poem, but one can appreciate its rhythms and imagery.
- They also help communicate, in a fundamental way, the very meaning of the work.
- Surely we can imagine other meanings and contexts for these words.
- Some words are spelled the same as or very close to other words with different meanings.
- The author often employs qualitative terms without explaining their meaning.
- A principio can mean both ‘in the beginning’ and ‘from the beginning’, and the double meaning is significant.
- He was an intensely charismatic actor and conveyed the meanings of words as dramatically and sensitively as the music.
- Many of us didn't understand their meanings, but sang them all the same.
- No one could predict them or perhaps even properly understand their meanings.
- He thinks about the way one word can have two completely different meanings.
- There were many meanings in his words, and all of them made me second guess the truths I had known all my life.
- In language, intonation is an important source of meaning.
- These picture puzzles depended, like puns, on the assonance of words that have different meanings.
- Perhaps even more ironic was our conversation about names and their meanings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.