In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(method)medio masculinea means to an end — un medio para lograr un fin
- means of transport — medio de transporte
- they have the means to do it — cuentan con los medios para hacerlo
- there's no means of finding out — no hay manera / forma de saberlo
- Its successor, the United Nations, also seeks to persuade member nations to solve their difference by peaceful means.
- When the objective is recognized, a wide variety of well known techniques may be used as transitional or enduring means of achieving it.
- Manure management is the most effective means for fly control.
- We are in the process of implementing new means of processing credit cards, a move that will result in both time and money savings for the association.
- Having a series of plant analysis results provides a means of evaluating these influences.
- Arts programs are one means of achieving that goal.
- He offered to advise them about means of gaining assistance under the social welfare system.
- Holland also has developed a means of measuring each sales rep's forecasting prowess.
- And, it is stressed, it is far from the only means of achieving business objectives.
- He took up the bass as a means of channeling his madcap intensity.
- I would say half of an hour, but without a means of measuring time with me, I couldn't be sure.
- He goes on to advise an effective means of achieving this goal.
- Unfortunately, following the announcement of the results the organizer cut every means of communication!
- Thorough cleaning of all equipment from planting to delivery is one of the most important means of achieving this.
- To me it was just another medium, a means of transmitting things.
- On that basis, buying back shares is just a means by which a company can distribute cash to its shareholders.
- One effective means of improving the process is to request more than one reference.
- Instruments can become indirect means of communication for autistic children.
- The method provides a means of identifying and describing the ways the viewers fill the gaps in the text.
- He is guilty of committing various immoral acts as a means of achieving power and importance.
1.2by all means — por supuesto
- by all means take it, but please bring it back — llévatelo, no faltaba más, pero por favor tráelo de vuelta
- by no means, not by any means
- we are by no means rich — no somos ricos ni mucho menos
- it's not a perfect film by any means — de ninguna manera / de ningún modo es una película perfecta
- by some means or other — sea como sea
- as preposition by means of — por medio de
2formalmedios (económicos)recursosingresosa woman of means — una mujer de buena posición económica
- we do not have the means to finance it — no contamos con los medios / recursos para financiarlo
- this is beyond the means of many people — esto no está al alcance de todos los bolsillos
- they live beyond their means — llevan un tren de vida que no se pueden costear / que sus ingresos no les permiten
- You have had the means under your control for quite some time now.
- That way you will have the financial means whatever bill comes your way!
- She has also received computers and 14 computer training facilities for families without the means.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.