In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1carne femininea plate of cold / cooked meats — un plato de fiambres
- the meat and potatoes — lo básico
- a meat and potatoes repertoire — un repertorio básico
- to be meat and drink to sb — ser la pasión de algn
- to be strong meat — ser demasiado fuerte
- one man's meat is another man's poison — lo que a uno cura a otro mata
- before noun meat by-product — derivado de la carne
- meat extract — extracto de carne
- meat industry — industria cárnica / de la carne
- meat product — producto cárnico / de la carne
- He could smell the meats and the foods cooking on the hot plates above him, and he felt his stomach growl.
- The highly processed food and low-quality meats affect the health, both physical and mental, of everyone here.
- They had bread, fruits, meat, butter, water, milk and even some cake.
- They even took a good portion of the fancier meats like mutton, quail, and deer.
- You don't have to be a master chef in order to cook meats properly.
- A giant wooden table was there, filled with bountiful fruits and meat.
- An hour or two later she pulled out some dried fruit and smoked meat for lunch.
- Cleaning, cutting and grinding meats and vegetables can take an entire morning, just for preparing the ingredients for a simple meal.
- His group wanted to find out why some meats become more tender while others stay too tough.
- But they did encourage imports of meat, fruit, vegetables, and wine.
- Fatty cuts of meat and processed meats are among meats high in saturated fat.
- Beef's share of total meats consumed recovered in 1997 and was stable in 1998.
- A self-service salad bar is packed with a variety of fresh, organic foods, salads, fish, meats, sauces and dips.
- The principal meats were pork, beef, mutton, and sometimes freshwater fish taken from the river.
- They also spend more on staples such as meat, fruit, cereals and bakery products than the average American household.
- Sarah sauntered over to pick up the dish of cold meats and ate in silence.
- The meats consisted of soft shelled crab covered in spices, tender roast beef and chicken.
- Preparing bison meat is comparable to preparing other lean meats.
- When she investigated, she discovered a leather pouch half filled with dried meat and fruit.
- The table was covered with meats from many different kinds of animals, all smoked and juicy.
- Disc Two is where the meat of the supplements is featured.
- They are dialogue-heavy, but they are laying the groundwork for the real meat of the film.
2(substance)sustancia feminineenjundia feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.