In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2also mecca(center of attraction)meca femininethe Mecca of the film industry — la meca / Meca del cine
- Monte Carlo is a Mecca for gamblers — Montecarlo es la meca de los jugadores
- The shop was a Mecca for women who wanted not only books but advice.
- Once regarded as a Mecca of tourism, the number of visitors coming to Ireland is falling steadily.
- The diving is always spectacular because it has also become a Mecca for the wildlife of the Celebes Sea.
- Visions of Toronto as a national Mecca for the downtrodden spring to some minds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.