In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Meccano masculine trademark
- I was an only child, and I had a room to myself and I had Meccano and I had this world in which I did things.
- Maybe we could start by putting Meccano and chemistry sets in every 10-year-old's Christmas stocking next month.
- We built the car with Meccano so it was fairly substantial.
- So he went into his garden shed and produced the greatest boy's toy of all time: Meccano.
- I did have Meccano and Lego, but actually I got a lot of fun out of empty cardboard boxes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.