In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There was a medallion with the shape of dragon wings around her neck.
- Some companies produce medallions or bracelets that change colour to warn of high-UV conditions.
- He said nothing but obediently handed over the small bag and removed his medallion and rings.
- He dropped it on the bar, while Ethan passed over a worn brass medallion on a short length of broken chain.
- Absently, he felt the chain necklace and the medallion against his chest grow colder than ice.
- She grabbed the medallion and gave a sharp wrench, breaking the chain.
- Men and women of the upper classes wore medallions engraved with skulls and ivory heads as jewelry.
- Just then the leather cord around her neck snapped, and the medallion fell onto the stone.
- Temporarily, I had strung Janet's ring onto the chain I wore with my medallion of Mary.
- He pulled the chain from her tunic, revealing the medallion hidden there.
- Vanderkin opened the chest and removed eight gold necklaces with medallions.
- At first, it looked like a thick metal bracelet with a heavy medallion set in the middle.
- Some are laden with gold medallions or sport diamond earrings.
- All I ever saw in that jewelry box anyway were little medallions and such.
- A silver medallion hangs on a chain around her neck.
- She yanked out a large medallion looped through a thin gold chain.
- Yet, inside was a golden medallion on a silver chain.
- It was like cutting a diamond into thinner pieces and attaching it to the sides of a gold medallion.
- Sarel pulled out a necklace with a green colored gem embedded in a medallion.
- Around his neck are several gold chains and an astrological medallion.
- The beef medallions were beautifully tender, and the sauce sublimely creamy and tasty, with just enough mustard to give it an ‘edge’.
- I had the Turkey Tenderloins, turkey medallions wrapped in bacon and grilled.
- I take my second gamble of the evening on the medallions of venison.
- I had chosen a steak plus a pork medallion and the meat arrived exactly as ordered.
- Dishes range from snacks to full meals such as fillet of beef medallions on rosti potato with rosemary sauce.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.