In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(substance)medicamento masculinemedicina feminineremedio masculine Latin Americabefore noun medicine bottle — frasco de medicina masculine
- medicine box / cabinet — botiquín
- medicine chest — botiquín
- medicine dropper — cuentagotas medicinal
- Early uses were medical, but it gradually came to be accepted as a food rather than a medicine.
- There are some medicines that can be useful to keep at home in case of minor accidents.
- Inappropriate use of many medicines has led to ineffective treatment and drug resistance.
- They understand the use of medicines because they are dealing with them all the time.
- The most effective medicines aim to restore the balance of serotonin in the brain.
- She said several of the people were on medication and had not been able to take their medicines.
- The use of many complementary and alternative medicines remains controversial.
- She gave me her food and used the medicine to make me feel better.
- Store medicines, vitamins and other potential poisons out of the reach of children.
- She recommends taking the medicine with food at the first sign of cramping or nausea.
- He or she may prescribe medicines, depending on the type of symptoms and their severity.
- If you remain well while on the medicines, the treatment should be continued.
- Special restrictions exist on the prescription of medicines for drug addicts.
- In less urgent cases, treatment by medicines and vitamins may be a better option.
- Drug companies are also striving to develop new medicines to treat unmet needs.
- If there are no improvements after several weeks, other medicines can be tried.
- All the review really shows is the lack of good quality research on over the counter cough medicines.
- Treatments include preventative medicines and those for use in acute attacks.
- They will ask you questions about your current and past health and any medicines you are taking.
- Lock up all drugs and medicines securely in a bathroom cabinet where they can't be reached.
2(science)medicina feminineto practice medicine — ejercer la medicina
- to study medicine — estudiar medicina
- He said they planned to take on extra clinicians in respiratory medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology.
- These principles subsequently formed the basis of good medical practice in Western medicine.
- This has enabled me to learn at first hand about the practice of medicine.
- Compared to the natural sciences and medicine, psychology is a relatively new field.
- The challenge is to develop models of care integrating nephrology and geriatric medicine.
- A sound knowledge of medical ethics is essential to the good practice of medicine.
- It may very well be that gene therapy is medicine's future; indeed our own future.
- Concern increased about the gap between academic medicine and practice.
- The holistic therapies might lead medicine back towards the holism of the ancient systems.
- I had recently been appointed as senior registrar in respiratory medicine and was keen to impress.
- There are many areas in which expectations differ over the practice of medicine.
- That is sad because it negatively changes how medicine is practiced in this country.
- After a varied career he decided to study medicine and entered general practice.
- Until then, I had considered medicine as merely a science used to heal human bodies.
- The practice of medicine must comply with modern ethical standards.
- A few of them were practitioners of herbal medicine but most were ordinary, conventional citizens.
- It is also useful for students and teachers of medicine and the biomedical sciences.
- As in all things in medicine, medical diagnosis requires prudence, and more than a modicum of common sense.
- The interdependence is particularly evident in science and medicine.
- Possible adverse events were detected by two nurses in medicine and surgery and two midwives in obstetrics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.