In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(intermediate)(size) medianosmall, medium or large? — ¿pequeño, mediano o grande?
- a person of medium height/build — una persona de estatura / talla media / mediana/de complexión normal
- of medium difficulty — de un grado medio de dificultad
- Many military installations are in or near small or medium size towns that can't absorb such a loss.
- Her hair was medium length and brown, and she walked gracefully.
- They are about the size of a medium collie dog, but their tail is round and bushy and is carried straight out below the level of their back.
- The first man was white, in his late teens, 5ft 10 in tall, of medium build, with fair short hair.
- I smiled and ruffled her medium length light brown hair slightly.
- This product is suitable for most small to medium size businesses that require full stock control and sales and purchase order processing.
- He had medium length shaggy black hair and bright green eyes.
- She has fair medium length straight hair and blue eyes.
- My medium length black hair was left out in bouncy curls today.
- In captivity, the hawk-headed parrot has a life span comparable to most other medium size parrots.
- These policies will inevitably lead to an extremely painful property market shake-out in the near to medium term.
- She had a slim build and medium length, fashionably styled blonde hair.
- In addition about 90% of the quota was taken up by producers in the small to medium size categories.
- There is a certain amount of research that has no clear medium term pay off that is funded by governments.
- They seemed to be of medium length and one them had been pulled from the root, making a DNA check possible.
- Its bill is of medium length for a shorebird, and it has short, yellow legs.
- He was described as a man in his late 30s, taller than average, of medium build with short dark hair and who spoke with no discernible accent.
- She looked to be in her mid-thirties and had medium length brown hair.
- Her medium length brown hair was loose and hung over her back.
- He is described as being medium build with a fair complexion and light brown hair.
2Cooking(steak) a punto(steak) término medio Mexico
1plmedia(means, vehicle)medio masculineadvertising media — medios publicitarios / de publicidad
- through the medium of the press — a través de la prensa
- medium of exchange — medio de pago
2(environment)medio (ambiente) masculine
3(for growing cultures)caldo de cultivo masculine
sustancia utilizada para la conservación de especímenes animales y vegetales
6(middle position)punto medio masculineto strike a happy medium between formality and familiarity — lograr un término medio entre la formalidad y la excesiva confianza
7plmediums(person who contacts spirits)médiummedio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.