In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1medusa femininefor other names see jellyfish
- Cnidarians have two basic body forms, medusa and polyp.
- In polyps, medusae, and worms, all longitudinal and circumferential muscles attach to the thin body wall over a wide area.
- Two major adult body types characterize the phylum: the medusa is typically a mobile pelagic organism, and the polyp is typically a sessile benthic organism.
- A medusa, or jellyfish, is part of the life cycle of just one major group of animals, the cnidarians.
- Scyphozoan polyps and medusae exhibit no cephalization and contain no brain, but in some species, light-sensitive eyespots are located along the bell margin of the medusa.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.