In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(assembly)reunión feminineto hold a meeting — celebrar una reunión
- to call a meeting — convocar una reunión
- a meeting of shareholders, a shareholders'meeting — una reunión / junta de accionistas
- political meeting — mitin
- we're having a meeting today to discuss it — nos reunimos hoy para discutirlo
- I have a meeting scheduled with the chairman — tengo concertada una reunión con el director
- the meeting decided to accept the proposals — la asamblea decidió / los presentes decidieron aceptar las propuestas
- Mr Timms is in a meeting — el señor Timms está reunido
- the meeting is adjourned — se levanta la sesión
- They understood the purpose of the meeting was to discuss incorporating a new company.
- The purpose of the meeting was to execute a legal document.
- They also became focal points for group discussion and formal meetings.
- How can meetings and discussions solve a problem like this?
- Those meetings were very formal and few ideas were exchanged.
- Council passed a motion that further questions on the sessions not be discussed again at council meetings.
- He had therefore been entitled to attend the area assembly meetings, often held in non-council buildings.
- Please put these in writing, sign and place in the box at the back of the Church for discussion at the monthly meetings.
- The problem of cannabis is now a regular topic of discussion at meetings of the Swindon Association of Secondary Heads.
- But some who attended the meeting felt their questions were yet to be answered.
- The main item for discussion at the meeting was the guild's annual weekend outing.
- This might include breakfasts, lunches, formal meetings, client meetings and trial projects.
- She also hopes to visit Britain every few months to attend council meetings.
- Health bosses held urgent meetings to decide how to cope with an expected surge in the number of patients over Easter.
- The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the set-up of a local Farmers Market planned for the near future.
- The actual discussion at meetings is not recorded formally, or contained in the minutes.
- There will also be a number of consultation meetings held to discuss what residents would like to see done with the community space.
- Union officials have written to executives seeking an urgent meeting to discuss the matter.
- The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the merits of the former ambassador traveling to Niger.
- It was the first time in 15 years they had held a formal meeting to discuss problems in the area.
- Quaker meetings and Shabbat services are held regularly here on the farm.
- Although Quaker meetings are held in silence, individuals are allowed to speak, if genuinely moved by the spirit to do so.
- Most meetings for worship in those days were nothing but processions or groups of singers.
- He believed there would be a big impact on parking, already under pressure during the school run and from meetings in the local Quaker Meeting House.
- I've been a member of several Lutheran churches and have sat through many congregational meetings.
2masculine encuentrofeminine entrevistaa chance meeting — un encuentro fortuito
- I remember our last meeting — recuerdo la última vez que nos vimos
- before noun their favorite meeting place — el lugar donde les gusta (or gustaba etc.) encontrarse
- meeting point — punto de reunión
- Diverse characters happen together either by chance or in arranged meetings.
- The film is full of chance meetings, coincidences, romance and confused hearts.
- Sofia Coppola's Lost In Translation follows two wandering souls that connect through these very chance meetings.
- This is the perfect chance to end these meetings without offending her.
- While there, I've met people I already knew by chance and had chance meetings with new people.
- Those meetings give us a chance to see one another and to have coffee - and they keep us all together.
- Whether it was a chance meeting or a planned meeting is not relevant to the point we were making.
- Without conscious direction there are only chance meetings that create situations between separated beings.
- The chance meeting is even more uncanny because Barbara had been searching for John on the internet last week to try to locate him in America.
- I never expect the chance meetings, yet I am always somewhere, at the same time as they are.
- They didn't see each other very often, except for chance meetings at meal times, when they felt strong enough to go to the mess hall.
- It took a couple more chance meetings before he actually asked me on a date, but he did and that was 7 years ago.
- Their meeting was chance when they happened to be walking in the same vicinity.
- Here, chance meetings and sexual encounters create a mood where anything can happen, even murder.
- They open up opportunities for fleeting or chance meetings.
- Both meetings were world championship qualifying rounds.
- The Renault Winter Championship meetings will also include races for the AVO Ginetta Cup cars.
- Last Sunday saw the opening meeting of the Young Athletes League at Pendle where Skyrac came fourth overall.
- The BHB had used their power to fix the dates of meetings to stop racecourses organising their own fixtures.
- Barton faces a severe test, with the likes of Seebald and Fondmort among the opposition for an event which could well be the race of the meeting.
- Racehorses die every day while providing pleasure and I'm afraid the magnification of such events during meetings like Aintree is a fact of life.
- And, because of a series of rained-off meetings, they have matches in hand on Poole, Wolverhampton and Ipswich.
- Crump had to win a race against the clock even to take part in the meeting.
- With two meetings and four races to go the championship is too close to call.
- Aces teammate Jason Lyons is also in the meeting as a wild card and knows a good performance could seal his spot in the full series in 2003.
- The meeting also incorporates the final race of the Reebok Cross series and has attracted over 2000 runners.
- UK Athletics states that if a UK record is to be valid, the competitor must pass a drugs test at the meeting that the record was set in.
- After competing at three pool meetings against five other schools they qualified for the finals night.
- Sale easily won the meeting and with one match to go have virtually guaranteed their place in the top flight after relegation last summer.
- The racing data list contains all the runners and riders for every race at a meeting.
- Even before the rally, at meetings and events, they were everywhere.
- Each of the four first-round playoff meetings is a rematch from the regular season.
- Neil Callan rides to victory in the last race of the day to leave the race for the meeting's top jockey wide open.
- The Golden League consists of Europe's seven biggest single-day athletics meetings of the summer.
- When he was in Nathy's they did not get newspapers and did not know about upcoming events such as athletics meetings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.