- Were the asteroid to hit Earth, it would enter the atmosphere at nearly 103,000 km/h and strike with the explosive energy of 1.2 million megatons of TNT.
- The largest weapon of this kind known to have been tested was estimated to be a 58 megaton (58 million tonnes of TNT) device produced by the Soviet Union during the height of the cold war.
- Some news accounts warned that its explosive force upon impact would be 350,000 megatons, eight million times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.
- Nearby in Balaclava (yes, the hat is named after this place - look it up), a submarine base is cut out of the side of a mountain, making it invisible to surveillance and able to withstand a 10 megaton nuclear explosion.
- The blast, called a solar flare, was equal to one million megatons of TNT and gave off powerful bursts of X-rays.