In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(being a member)membership of the club is restricted to residents — solo los residentes pueden hacerse socios del club
- to apply for membership — solicitar el ingreso / la admisión en un club ( / partido etc.)
- she gave up her party membership — dejó de pertenecer al partido
- membership of or (US also) in the EU has brought many benefits — el pertenecer a la UE ha reportado muchos beneficios
- before noun membership fee(s) — cuota (de socio)
- membership list — lista de socios (or afiliados etc.)
- So I now have my Discordian and Subgenius membership cards permanently in my wallet.
- If you do not have the new plastic bar-coded membership card please come in and sign up.
- I've met many of these, and believe me you wouldn't like to earn your gold membership card here.
- The scheme could be a one-off pledge or renewable annually as a type of debenture or membership fee.
- There will new membership and VIP cards so existing holders will need to reapply.
- They had very strict definitions of membership and rigorous membership tests.
- What makes them so susceptible to membership cards and the illusion of influence?
- All borrowers need to do is have their membership number to hand, ready to enter using the phone keys.
- As the playing season is starting earlier this season membership fees are now due.
- I take out my wallet and rifle through my collection of passes and membership cards.
- I'll hand in my membership card and become a monk, take the vow and never return.
- In fact, once you receive our membership kit you never hear from us again.
- On the upside, the Olympiad still retains relatively healthy membership figures.
- Despite the fact that we have paid the subscription for this month, we were advised that we are unable to use our memberships without valid cards.
- Then there are the ones you have to pay for, but get great value for your membership dollar.
- The only income that the club has enjoyed in the past has been confined to ticket money and membership sales.
- They do not carry membership cards, they have not taken any oath of allegiance.
- Female membership was, in fact, approved at the club's annual meeting in February.
- However, she will only have membership rights if she applied for them separately.
- The division offers memberships for students and for foreign affiliates, as well as for full members.
2(members)socios masculineafiliados masculine(number of members) número de socios masculine(number of members) número de afiliados masculinethe entire membership voted against — todos los afiliados votaron en contra
- the society has a membership of 2,000 — la sociedad tiene una membresía de más de 2.000
- During his time there the church membership grew from thirty-eight to well over a hundred.
- The current position with both of the bowls clubs is the membership is in decline.
- At the moment the club boasts a membership of an excess of twelve hundred members.
- Asked why she faced being deselected, he said she had lost the support of the body of the membership.
- These standing committees had a fluctuating membership and no subject specialism.
- Mr Sharpe said it was not fair to the membership of the society as a whole to subsidise a loss-making branch.
- If the employers are now digging their heels in then we need action involving all the membership.
- They are responsive to the general public rather than responsible to a membership.
- There are many things which a greater membership could help us to achieve.
- But, like many clubs in the area, they have not been able to have a full membership.
- Any authority it had flowed from the membership of states, not directly from the people.
- He said the motion's wording had not been completed and was due to be discussed by the membership.
- The Trust is now in the process of electing a board of governors, who will be drawn from the membership.
- Now the membership is up in the thousands and we need the staff's help to identify the people.
- It is time for the membership to have their say and it appears there are opinions both ways.
- He also thanked the membership for supporting the numerous events that the society had organised.
- The rules and regulations of a club membership are something you are either built to fit in with or take flight from.
- How much is a membership in the Institute of Advanced Drivers worth in terms of being a safer driver?
- Word is that the membership is not impressed by the present leaders of the grouping.
- Promoters were boasting a membership of more than 700 even before the concrete was dry.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.