In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A visit to any tourist town is considered incomplete if the visitors do not purchase a few of these locally-manufactured articles to carry home as mementoes of their visit.
- And as a memento of his last visit, Vasilee took with him the love for Indian instruments like sitar and sarod.
- Organisers hope the finished HMS Victory will be put on display in the town as a permanent memento of the event.
- Each winning photograph has also been enlarged and framed as a memento of the event.
- All runners will collect a souvenir memento, with trophies for the first three in each of the categories in the 10 km race.
- The room was stuffed to the gills with trophies and plaques and mementos of the greatest baseball team that ever existed.
- In the dark, you couldn't see all the smiling pictures and precious mementos that reminded her of her lost brother.
- Therefore examples of mugs, plates and other mementos of this ‘event that never was’ are plentiful and not of great value.
- Video coverage of the event will be available as a memento of this memorable occasion.
- Coun Paul Atkinson said if mayors wished to have a memento they should purchase it with their allowances.
- Also at the farewell dinner the team will be presented with a specially commissioned gift as a memento of their visit to Athy.
- Like every family each regiment acquired mementos by which to remember its members and triumphs.
- I'm a pack-rat anyway, so it's just in my nature to keep all kinds of mementos and souvenirs around.
- Mrs Taylor also received a memento of the visit, flowers and a teddy bear that has been named Leon in honour of their special guest.
- When I really enjoy a holiday I like to take with me some mementos of my visit.
- Keepsakes and mementoes top the gift list during the season of celebration.
- She still has mementos passed on to her from her mother as reminders of the couple's deep love.
- After their stay the couple kept a pile of mementoes of their visit to York, including 1970s Viking Hotel leaflets and even sugar packets, along with their wedding photos.
- Lukas is planning a display room in his new home for his collection of racing trophies and mementos.
- Before leaving HMS York, Caroline was presented with a signed photograph of the ship and given other mementoes to remind her of her time on board.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.