In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1memoirs plural(autobiography)memorias feminineautobiografía feminineshe's writing her memoirs — está escribiendo sus memorias / su autobiografía
- To define his importance, Da Ponte began to issue his memoirs in installments.
- The memoirs of public figures are almost always interesting.
- As a rule, memoirs written by political figures do not remain memorable since the details supplied in them must have been widely publicised by the media long before they got into the book.
- So when such a towering figure has his memoirs published, it is a landmark event.
- He used his memoirs, public speeches, and letters to glorify Lee, southern soldiers, and the Confederate cause.
- In 1943 Douglas was awarded the Bôcher Prize by the American Mathematical Society for his memoirs on the Plateau Problem.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.