In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)día en que se recuerda a los caídos en la guerra
- Friday is expected to be busiest of the Memorial Day weekend at both airports.
- Folks in the U.S. will have already had their Memorial Day weekend.
- Well, the Memorial Day weekend driving season is on us, and high gas prices are a factor.
- The Senate will join the fray as it plans to debate the issue before the Memorial Day break.
- Over Memorial Day weekend we gathered for our first and, I suspect, only reunion.
- From the first Memorial Day in 1868, the day set aside to honour our war dead has become a national holiday.
- On Memorial Day this year we will dedicate a new national memorial to Americans who served in World War II.
- A Memorial Day weekend powwow is held by the Devil's Lake Sioux at Fort Totten, North Dakota.
- The UK and US markets are closed on Monday for the Spring Bank Holiday and Memorial Day respectively.
- The original proclamation of a Memorial Day in 1868 was of course occasioned by the Civil War.
- This weekend marks Memorial Day in the U.S. and the official beginning of summer leisure.
- The men in my community and in others would place flags at the grave sites of veterans on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
- So amidst the triumph, I saw yesterday as a Memorial Day, of a sort, for those many who fell to make it possible.
- Today, he was remembered during a Memorial Day gathering of family and friends in Texas.
- Sam found himself thinking about his grandfather's death over the Memorial Day weekend.
- Today has been the day when America celebrates Memorial Day.
- This Memorial Day weekend, I suggest a visit to a truly sacred and, indeed, holy place.
- The Senate will vote on the bill soon after 7 June, when it returns from the Memorial Day holiday.
- Sure, Memorial Day is a day of barbecues and pool openings to some people.
- Trading was light Friday as many traders were absent ahead of the long Memorial Day weekend.
- Un día festivo en EEUU en honor a los americanos caídos en la guerra. Tiene lugar, por lo general, el último lunes de mayo.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.