In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Bacterial meningitis is the most common cause of profound deafness acquired in childhood.
- While mumps is usually not very serious, it may develop into viral meningitis is some cases.
- But it is believed viral meningitis in its mildest form is often mistaken for flu.
- Patients with tuberculous meningitis should be treated for at least nine months.
- The key early symptoms of meningitis are headache, stiff neck and dislike of bright lights.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.