In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Women menstruate for an average of 40 years of their lives.
- Women who start menstruating early in life or who have a late menopause have an increased risk of developing breast cancer.
- But considering how much time we spend on that time of the month - from puberty to menopause, the average woman menstruates almost seven whole years - many of us know surprisingly little about it.
- Some women stop menstruating as early as their late 30s.
- Other studies have shown that women undertaking extreme exercise regimens had ceased ovulating and menstruating.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.