In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An expert panel determined, for example, that pain relievers like meperidine and pentazocine carry more risk than benefit for the elderly.
- Although narcotics such as codeine, morphine and meperidine are effective in suppressing pain, they do nothing to treat its underlying cause, and they have the side effects of dependence and disorientation.
- Nonepidural pain relief usually involves the administration of opiates such as meperidine.
- Opioid analgesics such as meperidine and butorphanol are sometimes required to abort severe migraines.
- The most common types of prescription drugs abused by young adults are pain relievers, which include codeine, methadone, meperidine, percocet, hydrocodone, and oxycodone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.