In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We were presented with bags of tiny flavoured meringues to take away, in case we were still feeling peckish on the short cab journey home.
- This allows for the tremendous skill of morphing into delicious meringues.
- When they stopped by the Inn, Debbye had asked Wendy about the possibility of some nut meringues, and the vixen had happily supplied her with four dozen of the crunchy delicacies.
- The cakes consisted of an almond-topped Madeira cake and a tangy lemon version, along with strawberry pastries, miniature lemon meringues and carrot cake - all of which were sublime.
- I store it in jars and use it to spoon over all sorts of things, like pancakes, creamy meringues, plain cheesecake, yogurt, and vanilla ice-cream.
- We make a lot of meringues, so put the egg whites in there, then the yolks go in the quiche.
- Wendy had grouped them in sets of two pinwheels, or three meringues, or five cookies, each.
- When you want the dessert light and the ingredient list short, make meringues.
- Modern versions often include ice cream and omit the meringues.
- Chocolate-pistachio meringues, easily made ahead, are a sweet ending.
- Not only do they thicken and enrich sauces, bind stuffings, lighten and expand on whisking to create soufflés and meringues, they can also be cooked in a variety of ways to serve as a meal in their own right.
- Two Coffee Choux pastries, something with strawberries and meringues and something big and fluffy and full of custard.
- If you can't resist dessert, though, choose fresh fruit, gelatin, sorbet, sherbet, fruit ice, meringues or plain cake with fruit purée.
- Triacetin is added to dried egg whites so that they can be whipped into meringues.
- He observed her recipe ingredients, and asked, ‘Nut meringues?’
- We were delighted with the show and happily chose from various cheesecakes, meringues and chocolate cakes.
- I've had a poached egg and a sausage roll and four meringues.
- I'd do difficult things like puff pastry or meringues.
- I often helped out in the kitchen cooking meringues and cakes, the usual childhood stuff.
- The heaving fruit bowl, the waiting at the school gates and the planned attempt to master meringues are concerted efforts by Eclair to squeeze into the good mum role.
2informal(wedding dress)vestido merengue masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.