In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Over the past decades he has created a menagerie of animals and mythical creatures, including mermaids and two-headed dragons.
- And then, from the depths of the sea, beautiful mermaids swam up.
- There were many beautiful and strange statues of mermaids and dragons and other mystical creatures.
- Wendy was surprised to find the girl also had humanoid legs, and not the tail that mermaids of myth did.
- With her tiny feet splayed in a ‘V’, the impression of a mermaid's forked tail is complete.
- In Hans Christian Andersen, the mermaids are unbelievably beautiful, and a male would not have had that lightness of line.
- With a Romanesque Revival exterior style, the interior has extensive hand-carved woodwork in the shape of mermaids and mythical animals.
- It was made out of dark cherry wood and gold leafed in the mermaids and fish carved into the legs of the table and chairs.
- There are elves and centaurs and unicorns and mermaids and flying lynxes and all shapes of mythical things.
- Her day job involves research on mermaids, fantasy creatures as inaccessible as her ideal mate.
- Iphigenia suddenly realized without her mermaid's tail, she might not be able to swim at all.
- Ancient maps contained only the sea, colored with symbols such as mermaids, fish or vessels while the land was empty.
- The puppet characters will include magical sea creatures such as mermaids and jellyfish.
- Fabulous sea creatures, giant fish, mermaids and dolphins circulate through the hulls of wrecked ships.
- A group of beautiful red-haired mermaids were all screeching at the top of their lungs.
- The sea is the home of selkies, mermaids, these liminal creatures that slip back and forth between states as between elements.
- It had carvings of mytholical creatures; mermaids and fairies seemed to be most of them.
- His ears look like those sometimes depicted on mermaids, fine webbing, the usual wavelike sea-creature pattern, and gray.
- When she was a child, her nanny regaled her with stories about mermaids and other sea creatures.
- The thing rushed past his stationary body, jaws snapping at the mermaids ' tails.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.