In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In February 1992, Rabbi Shach, himself an eminent Rabbi, branded the Lubavitcher Rebbe as a heretic, who harboured messianic pretensions.
- What Jesus did on the road to Emmaus, the early church had to do in order to be able to understand, on the basis of the Scriptures, how both death and resurrection were part of God's plan of messianic salvation.
- This claim is made not on an historical basis but on a theological one with the assertion of God's fatherhood and anointing for the messianic ruler of God's people.
- After a visit to an isolated community of desert mystics, Jesus takes on a messianic role, which deepens after a transforming experience of temptation in the wilderness.
- Chanukah, in a very subtle manner, hints to the messianic era, when the light of Torah from Jerusalem will illuminate the world.
- Jesus did not offer new or unique teachings, urge his followers to prepare for eternal life with God, or fulfill a messianic mission.
- Even though healing was not the basis for claims about his messianic role or divine identity, the gospels' interpretation of his identity and power include frequent references to that activity.
- His best-known work is probably Jesus and the Victory of God, where he takes a more traditional view of Jesus' belief in a future kingdom of God and argues for his messianic self-understanding.
- For one thing, there are prophecies about the messianic era in the Torah.
- This change was a dramatic demonstration of Christ's message: the messianic community cannot be contained by old patterns, or be defined by past rituals, no matter how treasured they are.
- The followers of Jesus also experience being called as participants into God's messianic mission to bring forth a new creation through a vulnerable mission of love.
- The chief priests and scribes, however, are scandalized by the application of this messianic title to Jesus: ‘Do you hear what these are saying?’
- He pointed to his wonderful deeds, which fulfilled the messianic prophecies of the Old Testament and were wrought by the power of God.
- If we take into consideration the passages in I Enoch 46-47, it is clear that the Son of Man figure is depicted as a messianic human figure, resident in heaven and also a judge.
- In his visionary writings, the prophet Ezekiel describes a great battle on the eve of the messianic era, when the all forces of evil in the world combine themselves into a great army called by the name Gog and Magog.
- In his proclamation of the birth of the messianic child and its reign of peace without end, the prophet gave new hope to a deeply oppressed and depressed people.
- If so, also this theme in Jesus' messianic self-understanding has had an impact on the public life of society and the state, not least during the past thirty years in Latin America.
- The very late rabbinic midrash on Lamentations in fact takes this text explicitly as a messianic prophecy.
- An eschatological messianic banquet is foretold there in which Jesus will sit once again with his disciples.
- The messianic promise in Isaiah 11: 1-5 promises a king who will judge with righteousness and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.